Become a TFP Supporter Welcome to our new server and new forum software. If you have problems logging in to the new system, you should try resetting your password. Click HERE to do that. Pool School

Thread: Any difference in bleach?

Any difference in bleach?

I can get Clorox for 1.99 per gallon, but the save brand stuff is 1.45 from the grocery store. Is there any difference to this stuff other than packaging? They both say they contain 6% sodium hypochlorite, but I want to be sure I'm safe to switch to the cheap stuff
    15k gallon IG kidney pool with attached spa
    plaster
    sand filter

Re: Any difference in bleach?

Usually the off brands are fine. Some of them occasionally have excess lye, which can raise the PH a little over time, but that is fairly rare. The only significant thing to watch out for is bottles that have been sitting around for a long time. Bleach loses strength over time, but it takes many months before that becomes significant.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    TFP Admin. Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

As long as they are marked 6% it will be fine, if it's not marked or price "too good to be true", avoid them. Some cheap brands are only 3%
    ~26700 gal 18x36 rectangle In-Ground built in 1978
    Vinyl liner, 3/4hp Hayward Super pump, single speed 3450rpm
    Sand Filter: 300 pound sta-rite T-240BP-1, 3.14 sqft surface area
    Compupool CPSC48 SWG installed 3/26/2012, Cell Failure, near meltdown in July 2013 :(
    K-2006 Test kit

I've even seen 2%, and it was only cents cheaper than the 6%
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II T100 Sand Filter, CompuPool CPCS48 SWG, Borates at 50 ppm, TF-100 test kit

I switched from Aldi's Brand (Tundra) to WalMart Brand (Great Value) because the GV stuff seemed to hold the FC better even though both list 6%. But I have no scientific proof to that statement.... just my two cents.
    AAAARRRRGGGGHHHHHHHHH !!!!!!
    14,600g / 24ft. Round Above Ground with Solar Cover
    18" Hayward Pro Sand Filter
    1 HP Hayward Powerflo Matrix Pump running 10am - 8pm
    Full Sun (when we get sun ... LOL): Approx. 10am to 7pm
    Using the BBB Method, and loving it!!

My guess is the GV brand is made by Clorox or other large national company, branded for WM and they sell tons of it so it's always fresh.
    -- Guy --
    10K gallons in 21' Round 52 inch wall Aqualeader AG, Hayward Power Flow LX 1.5 HP pump motor, Hayward Perflex EC50AC DE filter w/Cellulose, Wide mouth skimmer, 2013 new Diver Dan (craigslist) to replace the faded old Hayward AquaBug. TF-100

The 182 oz jugs at dollar general have the same markings on the jug as wm GV brand, so in case your wm is out, that gives you another source.
    ~26700 gal 18x36 rectangle In-Ground built in 1978
    Vinyl liner, 3/4hp Hayward Super pump, single speed 3450rpm
    Sand Filter: 300 pound sta-rite T-240BP-1, 3.14 sqft surface area
    Compupool CPSC48 SWG installed 3/26/2012, Cell Failure, near meltdown in July 2013 :(
    K-2006 Test kit

Quote Originally Posted by thepiratemorgan
    I switched from Aldi's Brand (Tundra) to WalMart Brand (Great Value) because the GV stuff seemed to hold the FC better even though both list 6%. But I have no scientific proof to that statement.... just my two cents.
    Here to..I've alway's used Great Value..Switch'd last year & tried Aldi..Started having problem's.Just stick with what work's
    Leasure bay AG 24ft,52 in high.installed June of 1999. Updated to Hayworth S-180 T sand filter 2003,,BBB method started in may2010,,TF-100

I had similar issues with Aldi's would only raise the FC 1/3 of what the great value would. Also bought some of the 15% from Menards called super shock the first thing that made me suspicious was there was no seal on the bottle only the cap. It had no odor to it at all. I added 2 gallons to the pool and it raised the FC by 2. That stuff wasn't worth the $4 a gallon buy one get one free. Like the old saying you get what you pay for.
    18 / 36 IG pool
    22,000 Gal.
    Vinyl liner
    No bottom drain, De filter

Quote Originally Posted by x2rider
    The 182 oz jugs at dollar general have the same markings on the jug as wm GV brand, so in case your wm is out, that gives you another source.
    Wish I saw this before last night. WM was out of GV and I had to spend a whole extra $0.50 per bottle for Chlorox !!!! Ugggghhhh !!! LOL
    Well, I'll keep that in mind next run ... thanks !!
    AAAARRRRGGGGHHHHHHHHH !!!!!!
    14,600g / 24ft. Round Above Ground with Solar Cover
    18" Hayward Pro Sand Filter
    1 HP Hayward Powerflo Matrix Pump running 10am - 8pm
    Full Sun (when we get sun ... LOL): Approx. 10am to 7pm
    Using the BBB Method, and loving it!!

I feel there is a difference. When I buy HEB brand of bleach and it shows 6% it does not seem to hold as well as Clorox brand.
    13,000 Plaster IG Pool approx
    Hayward C5030 Cart Filter
    Emerson 1081 EB653 1.0 HP 1.40 S.F. 3450 RPM
    Pool Calculator, Pool School, TF Test Kits

I noticed the same thing this year with aldi bleach, just didn't seem to hold the fc like the other brands so I also switched
    I either use Walmart bleach gv or the 12.5% bleach from the pool store, our local pool store sells 4 gallon cases of 12.5% for 9.99
    The great escape and American sales in our area runs the special pretty much all season
    18' x 33' Aqua leader AGP (~19k gal) w/hayward swimpro voyager cartridge filter and 2hp hayward pump.
    8 Gal LQ, hayward heater.

The Walmarts here sell 10% pool stuff for 6.48 for two gallons in a box, the GV 182oz for 2.98 each, & the Clorox in a range of sizes. IIRC the pool stuff is cheapest when comparing effective Cl per ounce but when they are out of the HTH pool sanitizer I just get two big GV. I have not had to look at a third option.

Home Depot sells the KemTek 10% for almost the same price as WMs HTH 10%. If I am there for other projects, I might get it.

On that note, beware the Muriatic Acid at HD, they sell two kinds here for almost the same price but only one is the 34 .baume.
    -- Guy --
    10K gallons in 21' Round 52 inch wall Aqualeader AG, Hayward Power Flow LX 1.5 HP pump motor, Hayward Perflex EC50AC DE filter w/Cellulose, Wide mouth skimmer, 2013 new Diver Dan (craigslist) to replace the faded old Hayward AquaBug. TF-100

i was using the $2.99 182oz of gv walmart bleach, but i noticed my sams club now has 3 bottles of 182oz clorox for $8.50

Glad you asked the question. I can buy GV bleach 1.42 gals for a few pennies more than Clorox.
    vator1 The retired one.

34 by 16 kidney shaped pool
    19000 gals
    Gunite with fountain
    Pentair 1HP pump
    de filter