What else is needed when ordering individually?

tick221

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 22, 2011
I've decided to forgo the bundled filter/pump combo when I buy my pool(Hopefully this weekend) for the following equipment.

http://www.amazon.com/Hayward-Pro-S...TF8&coliid=I2WX3TBJSOV5YM&colid=31XDG137WAKGR

http://www.amazon.com/Hayward-SP159...TF8&coliid=I1WIJG4LLOILMG&colid=31XDG137WAKGR

My reasoning for this is mainly the ability to use a 2 speed pump and from what I've read a little extra size on the filter is never a bad thing. With the combo unit I get all the hoses and everything is mostly ready to connect. But with the individual filter/pump I'm a little lost,

I'm hoping for a little help from you all about what else I need to order. The pool comes with the skimmer so I'm good there but I just want to be sure I have everything I need to get the system up and running. Obviously hoses are needed but what kind of connectors are needed to connect the pump to the filter, then everything to the pool??

Thanks to any and all replies

You are going to need a few PVC fittings that get glued into the filter and screwed into the pump to adapt to flexible hose, plus the hoses and hose clamps. The filter will need a few short pieces of pipe and a pair of slip to barbed adapters. The pump will need a piece of threaded CPVC cut in half and the barbed adapters.

That is a good combination of pump and filter, and the filter is larger than you "need", but that is a good thing and I think that pump should still be able to backwash it. For backwash reasons primarily (though good for filtering as well), I would use 2" pipe, especially on the supply line, to make sure your pressure head is low.

Another slightly cheaper option but still good for your pool is: http://www.poolsupplyworld.com/pool...llarcombos/system/products/PNSD0060DO2260.htm Less filtration area, but the pump curve is very similar to the hayward pump you selected above. If your plumbing loss will be high on the suction side, this might be a better choice.

linen said:
That is a good combination of pump and filter, and the filter is larger than you "need", but that is a good thing and I think that pump should still be able to backwash it. For backwash reasons primarily (though good for filtering as well), I would use 2" pipe, especially on the supply line, to make sure your pressure head is low.

Another slightly cheaper option but still good for your pool is: http://www.poolsupplyworld.com/pool...llarcombos/system/products/PNSD0060DO2260.htm Less filtration area, but the pump curve is very similar to the hayward pump you selected above. If your plumbing loss will be high on the suction side, this might be a better choice.

Linen - would you recommend a slightly smaller filter?? Amazon has a really good price on the following which is a 21 instead of the 24. The pool will be a 24 foot AGP and the plan is to run it 24/7 on the lower speed. I looked at the one you linked but the twist socket is a no go for me. I want to get filtration going right away and don't want to have to wait on proper electrical to be run.

http://www.amazon.com/Hayward-S210T...340401528&sr=8-2&keywords=hayward+pool+filter

EDIT - Nevermind found a twist to 3 prong on amazon for $9 :)

The tfp recommendation would be for 2.5 sq. ft. minimum sand filter for your 13500 gallon pool (assuming the 24' in your sig). You can get by with the 2.2 sq. ft., S210T, but if I had the choice I would go bigger. Now that I look again, the SD60 in the combo link I provided is only 2.3 sq. ft.

I like your original choice of the S244T at 3.14 sq. ft., but it is not my money (though that looks like a good price) :mrgreen:

linen - thanks for the comments, I really appreciate it, but would you mind explaining the following a little more please

I know I'm supposed to switch to the higher speed on the pump for back washing but want to make sure I'm not "under-pumping" myself with the selection of the 1 HP with the S244T. I picked the 1 HP over the 1.5 HP mainly for the electrical savings but if I need to go that big I will to work better with the S244T. Our local electrical company (spawns of satan) are raising rates again, we will be at close to .23 cents per kilowatt hour so I like the idea of the 1 HP to keep my usage down as much as possible. Would being a little under the recommended 2.5 really hurt me if I'm running the pump 24/7?

Also what do you mean by having a 2" pipe for the supply line?

Thanks again, every time I think I have things figured out a new variable throws me for a loop :-D

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.