Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: cloudy pool - DE or algae

1. Back To Top    #1

cloudy pool - DE or algae

Hi, newbie here - be gentle

Pool was closed for 1 year - I've gotten a (newer) replacement filter + dolphin pool cleaner & opened the pool this year. As expected, uncovered to a swamp. In addition, there was a prior problem with DE filter where the earth was leaked into the pool.

Been following the BBB method - 1 week in now & shocking as recommended. Pool cleaner has been running 2-3times a day. Early cleanouts had tons of goo - recent ones seem limited to gray silt.

Current AM level, per K-2006 readings:

FC - 2.2
    PH - 7.4
    TA - 150
    CH - 80
    CYA- 30

Overnight test seems to lose 1.0 FC - but its +90 degrees now, so that maybe a factor.

Problem is - pool is still not clear - can't see bottom of pool @ deep end. Slight gray color, but could be due to DE vs dead algae. I haven't added any DE to the filter yet - was afraid to do so until the water is clear enough to determine whether filter isn't dumping DE. (re: filter - Disassembled it, visually checked all "fins" for tears, checked all plastic parts for cracks. Just being overly cautious ).

Was wondering if I should be doing more shocking, considering a clarifier, or just waiting? Reason for considering the clarifier: the pool cleaner could be stirring up the DE (if that's what it is) making things cloudy.

If a clarifier is the way to go, any BBB suggestions?
    42000 gallons, vinyl lazy L, Nautilus DE ns36 filter, 1.5hp hayward pump, dolphin plus cleaner.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: cloudy pool - DE or algae

Welcome to tfp, jimg

What is your CC level?

How are you getting your test numbers?

What is your filter "clean" pressure?
    At what pressure are you cleaning or backwashing your filter at?
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

3. Back To Top    #3

You shouldn't run the filter without DE. Too much time without DE can permanently damage the grids. If you can't put DE in the filter you should run on recirculate (which bypasses the filter completely).

DE settles to the bottom of the pool after only a few hours with the pump off, at which point you can vacuum it up. From your description, that makes it unlikely that DE in the pool is your problem. Also, if you do add DE, a torn grid will be instantly obvious as the return jets will become cloudy a few moments after you add DE to the skimmer.

Try filtering normally with DE in the filter for 24 hours before considering trying clarifier.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

Welcome to the forum. Actually, you never finished the shock process so your FC should still be up around 12ppm. The criteria you must meet to finish shocking are...
    1. Your pool water is sparkling
    2. Your CC's are .5ppm or less
    3. You can hold your FC overnight without losing more than 1ppm.

From your description, you probably need to get the robot in there and have him do some more work. Brush, stir things up, backwash your filter.....do everything you can to mechanically remove the junk.....all the time keeping your FC at shock level.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks for all the advice.

@linen
    What is your CC level?
    CC = 0.4
    How are you getting your test numbers?
    test numbers from K-2006 (purchased based on TFP recommendation)
    What is your filter "clean" pressure / At what pressure are you cleaning or backwashing your filter at?
    20 clean, 28 when I backwash.

@duraleigh
    Yes - TC was 9.7 / 9.0 for 3 days. tested in am & pm, put shock in pm. Last two days I figure that it was shocked enough, so I stopped dumping shock level bleach since I didn't know if the condition was due to DE or algae. After day one of hitting hard, pool started to clear, but gray remained.

@JasonLion
    Thank you - will go buy DE and put it in. And more shock, just in case. will post pictures for additional info.
    42000 gallons, vinyl lazy L, Nautilus DE ns36 filter, 1.5hp hayward pump, dolphin plus cleaner.

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by jimg
    20 clean, 28 when I backwash.
    We recommend backwashing when your pressure goes up 25%, or at 25 psi in your case.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

7. Back To Top    #7

Here's a example of what I am seeing.
    Stairs:

Entire Pool:

Inside of bag (yuck!)

8. Back To Top    #8

Put 4 coffee cans of DE in the skimmer - and saw white coming out of the returns.

So now I am working overtime to figure out 1) where the DE leak is and 2) getting the additional DE out of the pool.

I've put the system in recirculate until I can find the problem. Spider gasket looked okay - as did the manifold and individual grids (disassembed entire DE unit at beginning).

Should I consider stopping the pump and relying on the robot cleaner to pick up the DE?

Or just run the pump in recirc and skimmers only while keeping the robot cleaner busy?

9. Back To Top    #9

any suggestions here? robot has been going several days now - pool is slightly cleaner, but not clear.

10. Back To Top    #10

Have you officially passed the OCLT? I can't see in your posts where you have.
    Once you do that I think you'll see your pool start to clear up.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

11. Back To Top    #11

I did a OCLT last week and lost 0.8 - but I will attempt again this evening.

Current readings:
    FC 5.2
    CC 0.0
    PH 7.6
    TA 150
    CH 80
    CYA 30
    System in recirculate

I've just added bleach to bring to 15 shock level & will monitor. Robot Pool cleaner is [still] working away (still pulling out gray stuff, clean out 3 times daily).

12. Back To Top    #12

With the system in "Recirculate", it's never going to clear because you are not filtering. The water is going into the pump and directly back into the pool and bypassing (not going into) the filter.

If when you run it in "Filter" you get DE blowing into the pool, you have a hole in one of the DE filter bags like you show above. You need to get that fixed and the filter charged with a full load of DE before it can effectively filter the pool.

Unless I missed something here...
    -- Guy --
    10K gallons in 21' Round 52 inch wall Aqualeader AG, Hayward Power Flow LX 1.5 HP pump motor, Hayward Perflex EC50AC DE filter w/Cellulose, Wide mouth skimmer, 2013 new Diver Dan (craigslist) to replace the faded old Hayward AquaBug. TF-100

13. Back To Top    #13

Hi Techguy.

The bag in the picture above is not from the DE filter - its from the dolphin plus robot cleaner.

I did inspect the DE filter / manifold / grids and did not see any holes / leaks. I will disassemble shortly and review.

14. Back To Top    #14

Filter completed. Didn't see anything out of the norm. removed the grids, reseated them, put some sealant around the connectors at the manifold end, and restarted. 9 coffee cans of DE - didn't see any white in the returns. I'll run the filter all night just to see (only pulling from the main drain [skimmers off] to see if the filter can clear the deep end.

15. Back To Top    #15

Sounds like maybe things will clean up now. I didn't understand your robot had it's own filter, My robot (Aquabug) uses my DE filter and clogs it quickly if my pool is dirty. Sometimes I have to bump my filter every 20 minutes when fighting an algae bloom. This is when a DE filter can be a real pain in tail. But... when all is going good, the water is great looking.

Corrected an iPad-ism.
    -- Guy --
    10K gallons in 21' Round 52 inch wall Aqualeader AG, Hayward Power Flow LX 1.5 HP pump motor, Hayward Perflex EC50AC DE filter w/Cellulose, Wide mouth skimmer, 2013 new Diver Dan (craigslist) to replace the faded old Hayward AquaBug. TF-100

16. Back To Top    #16

After 2 days, pool is clear now. I did clean the grids with acid and seal the connections to the manifold with "hot glue" so perhaps something was amiss there. Thanks for all your suggestions - you guys are lifesavers!

17. Back To Top    #17

Glad it's working! Probably one of the grids just wasn't seated quite right.
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden