Standpipe open at bottom?

Jun 22, 2012
Hi - I'm new here but I'm quickly finding my way around. I appreciate having access to such a helpful site.

I have a Jacuzzi LaserJet sand filter and I had sand returning to my pool. Since it had been a while since the sand was changed so I changed out the sand. While doing so I checked the laterals which were fine, but noticed that at the bottom of the standpipe it was completely open. Does this rely on pressure applied to the top of the standpipe to keep it seated at the bottom of the filter, or is there supposed to be some kind of covering on it? I ask because I put in the right type (#20 pool sand) and the right quantity and it is still blowing sand back into my pool. Not just a little sand -- I think I'm up to one of the 50 pound bags I just got through putting in the filter.

As a additional question - does anyone have any good tips on getting the sand out? I don't know if it will torture my pump to run it through to waste, and a shop vac is out because of the depth of where most of the sand is (about 10 ft deep).

I have one of those filters sitting open a home right now, so I can check tonight about the opening. I pretty sure it needs to be closed, unless it seals reliable to the bottom of the housing some how that I don't rememeber. Like I said, I can check tonight.

I would just vac to filter since that is where you want it anyways...unless it is a whole bunch...more than your filter should hold. I have vacuumed sand many times with no appreciable negative effect on my pump. I would probably do it slowly, i.e. dont plunge your hose into a pile of it, but approach from and edge slowly.

This is a common problem with the Jacuzzi laser filters. The solution is to extend the stand pipe. If you don't know what this means, replace the filter, as you cannot replacement parts from Jacuzzi. :hammer:

I forgot I was going to check mine. Mine is a Laser 190L. The center pipe goes down to the black manifold which the laterals attach to. There is no hole in the black manifold. There is an small extension pipe (looks like 1.25' pvc) on the bottom of the black manifold which holds the manifold about 2 1/2 inches above the bottom of the filter.

linen said:
I forgot I was going to check mine. Mine is a Laser 190L. The center pipe goes down to the black manifold which the laterals attach to. There is no hole in the black manifold. There is an small extension pipe (looks like 1.25' pvc) on the bottom of the black manifold which holds the manifold about 2 1/2 inches above the bottom of the filter.

Thanks for checking. I think I'm going to try to plug the bottom hole in some way. My standpipe is open all the way to the bottom (I can look from the top through the manifold to the bottom extension). It sounds as if your manifold has a closed bottom with an extension.

If this fails I'll use this site to research what type of filter everyone prefers. Thanks!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.