CYA Too High / Draining Question...

mikesig83

Jun 21, 2012
DFW, TX
Hi all,

Sorry for not being able to post my test results, but I'm on lunch at work. Maybe tonight...

My CYA level is at the 95 level right as of this morning. I've been draining water the past four days by using the floor drain only and connecting a vinyl tube to the air release valve and releasing it into the street. I assume that this isn't great for the cartridge filter, but I don't see any other options (besides renting a pump from Home Depot). Didn't want the water level to go below the return jets in fear of what could happen, so I've been draining about ten inches at a time and refilling at night and doing it all over again the next day.

My question is what would you do in my situation? Rent the pump from HD for $25 and do about a 50% drain? Or try to maintain appropriate FC levels for my current CYA reading and keep this draining process going until eventually I'm down to the 50 CYA range?

I am terrified of my plaster cracking or the pool floating out of the ground due to ground water issues if I drain 50%. Am I at any risk of cracking or floating if it hasn't rained in a week or so and it's been in the 90s and sunny consistently all week? I live in the Dallas, TX area.

Appreciate the help in advance. I'm in the process of switching to the BBB Method from using pucks and chlor-brite as shock (yes, I know I know). Bought 15 bottles of Chlorox Reg bleach last night. Anyone know of the cheapest option in this area for 12.5% liquid chlorine or bleach? Home Depot sells some "Smart" brand at 11% available chlorine for $4.5 / gallon.

Have a good day.

-Mike

Last night it was green. This morning it was a better color but still green. It actually didn't take too long pumping up the RPMs to around 28-2900. I know I have a ton of work ahead of me to get it back to normal and clear, but I'm curious to see if I can it "swimmable" by tomorrow afternoon. Will be stopping by wally world for more bleach on my way home. I know that's for sure.

How did you get your cya number?...if from test strips or a pool store, beware we have seen many examples on here where it's wrong.

mikesig83 said:
Anyone know of the cheapest option in this area for 12.5% liquid chlorine or bleach?
Might be something in this thread: http://www.troublefreepool.com/bleach-prices-2012-t41710.html

mikesig83 said:
I know I have a ton of work ahead of me to get it back to normal and clear, but I'm curious to see if I can it "swimmable" by tomorrow afternoon.
The tfp recommendation is swimming is okay below your pool's FC shock level (as determined by your cya level), and you can see the bottom. I also recommend not swimming when CC>0.5.

Hi,

I got my reading from my k-2006 Taylor test kit. When I get home I am going to try the test in full sunlight. I've been doing it indoors. Thanks for the advice. Anyone have any thoughts on issues with draining and cracking/floating pools?

You can nearly always drain 18 inches of water completely safely. The only time you can't do that much is when the ground is completely saturated so that there is constant standing water on the ground.

The odds are also very good that you can drain more than that, but if you want to be super cautious you can just do 18" of water replacement several times in a row.

What a turnaround. Pool went from green to blue in 30+ hours using the methods mentioned on this site. Just need to keep it up and I'm sure the cloudiness will eventually go away running the pump 24 hours a day.

Quick question: Do you all recommend shutting off the skimmers and just using the floor drain during this process?

Thanks again,
Mike

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.