Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: CYA Too High / Draining Question...

1. Back To Top    #1

CYA Too High / Draining Question...

Hi all,

Sorry for not being able to post my test results, but I'm on lunch at work. Maybe tonight...

My CYA level is at the 95 level right as of this morning. I've been draining water the past four days by using the floor drain only and connecting a vinyl tube to the air release valve and releasing it into the street. I assume that this isn't great for the cartridge filter, but I don't see any other options (besides renting a pump from Home Depot). Didn't want the water level to go below the return jets in fear of what could happen, so I've been draining about ten inches at a time and refilling at night and doing it all over again the next day.

My question is what would you do in my situation? Rent the pump from HD for $25 and do about a 50% drain? Or try to maintain appropriate FC levels for my current CYA reading and keep this draining process going until eventually I'm down to the 50 CYA range?

I am terrified of my plaster cracking or the pool floating out of the ground due to ground water issues if I drain 50%. Am I at any risk of cracking or floating if it hasn't rained in a week or so and it's been in the 90s and sunny consistently all week? I live in the Dallas, TX area.

Appreciate the help in advance. I'm in the process of switching to the BBB Method from using pucks and chlor-brite as shock (yes, I know I know). Bought 15 bottles of Chlorox Reg bleach last night. Anyone know of the cheapest option in this area for 12.5% liquid chlorine or bleach? Home Depot sells some "Smart" brand at 11% available chlorine for $4.5 / gallon.

Have a good day.

-Mike
    22,000 gallon - cartridge filter - IG plaster (rock waterfall) - Pentair IntelliFlo VF Variable Flow High Performance 3HP Pool Pump - 16A 230V

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: CYA Too High / Draining Question...

How does the water look right now?

You may be able to rig something up with PVC by removing one of your eyeball returns and going from there. It really must be painfully slow using the air release...
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden

3. Back To Top    #3

Last night it was green. This morning it was a better color but still green. It actually didn't take too long pumping up the RPMs to around 28-2900. I know I have a ton of work ahead of me to get it back to normal and clear, but I'm curious to see if I can it "swimmable" by tomorrow afternoon. Will be stopping by wally world for more bleach on my way home. I know that's for sure.
    22,000 gallon - cartridge filter - IG plaster (rock waterfall) - Pentair IntelliFlo VF Variable Flow High Performance 3HP Pool Pump - 16A 230V

4. Back To Top    #4

How did you get your cya number?...if from test strips or a pool store, beware we have seen many examples on here where it's wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by mikesig83
    Anyone know of the cheapest option in this area for 12.5% liquid chlorine or bleach?
    Might be something in this thread: http://www.troublefreepool.com/bleac...12-t41710.html

Quote Originally Posted by mikesig83
    I know I have a ton of work ahead of me to get it back to normal and clear, but I'm curious to see if I can it "swimmable" by tomorrow afternoon.
    The tfp recommendation is swimming is okay below your pool's FC shock level (as determined by your cya level), and you can see the bottom. I also recommend not swimming when CC>0.5.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

5. Back To Top    #5

For less than $25 worth of PVC I was able to add a T leading to valve and the right threads for a garden hose.

I did it to be able to drain a low spot the builder left between my filter and heater, but it should work for your problem to.
    20k gallon free form plaster pool with a spill over spa, sand filter, Master Pools in floor cleaner, Jandy PDA and Jandy Lite2 natural gas heater.

6. Back To Top    #6

Hi,

I got my reading from my k-2006 Taylor test kit. When I get home I am going to try the test in full sunlight. I've been doing it indoors. Thanks for the advice. Anyone have any thoughts on issues with draining and cracking/floating pools?

7. Back To Top    #7

You can nearly always drain 18 inches of water completely safely. The only time you can't do that much is when the ground is completely saturated so that there is constant standing water on the ground.

The odds are also very good that you can drain more than that, but if you want to be super cautious you can just do 18" of water replacement several times in a row.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

8. Back To Top    #8

What a turnaround. Pool went from green to blue in 30+ hours using the methods mentioned on this site. Just need to keep it up and I'm sure the cloudiness will eventually go away running the pump 24 hours a day.

Quick question: Do you all recommend shutting off the skimmers and just using the floor drain during this process?

Thanks again,
    Mike