Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Muriatic Acid, safety questions...

1. Back To Top    #1

Muriatic Acid, safety questions...

I have been following the BBB method ever since having a severe algae problem earlier this year. I am the primary care taker of the pool and I asked my husband to get muriatic acid so I could lower the PH. He doesn't like the sound of this stuff and wasn't thrilled about me using it. The water is also sparkling clear right now and he doesn't see why I would mess with anything. I always thought my PH was borderline high but my husband read it in the 7.8 range so I never adjusted it. After 1-2 inches of rain the other night there is no question that it is definitely high.

My PH is at 8.2 and my TA 140 right now. I have looked for quite some time on the forum but can't find anywhere that says how long after muriatic acid is added do you need to wait to swim? Considering the amount I may need to add (72 oz.) I just don't see how it would be safe for my kids to be swimming and opening their eyes in the pool period. I am concerned about hot spots. Are there no other safer alternatives to lowering PH?
    25,000 gallon
    AG
    Sand
    filter size is 26 diameter
    flow rate 70 GPM
    AG Pool (33ft.) was newly installed in spring 2011

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Muriatic Acid, safety questions...

I just started using this website. Prior to that, I was dependent on my local pool store. I've used muratic acid for the past 5 years and the pool store recommended it, as does this site. The main issues I've encountered are to avoid breathing in the fumes and avoid splashing it on your skin as you pour it in. I slowly add (by a return jet) the amount recommended by the pool calculator, then let the water mix a while. It does a great job of keeping pH and TA in optimal ranges.
    25,000 gal in-ground, vinyl, 1 HP Hayward Max-Flo pump, 250 lb. SwimPro sand filter, Dolphin Diagnostic robot, TF100 test kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Muriatic acid does require care in handling, but once it is in the pool and mixed, there is no risk. It is heavier than water, so it will settle to the bottom if you don't leave the pump running after addition.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

Muriatic is almost instantly dispersed and harmless in a pool within minutes (pump running). There are no "hot spots". You can safely add it in virtually any reasonable dose and swim in 30 minutes.

The things we suggest here on the forum have been pretty well thought out for several years and thousands of people have been following the procedures suggested with no ill effects.

That said, it sounds like both of you don't like it so you can use a pool store product labeled "pH minus" or "pH down". I personally don't like it as well and it's more money but it does work.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

No matter what product you purchase, it WILL be acid if it's purpose is to lower pH. There's no way around it. Low pH products are "acidic", high pH products are "alkaline".

You could use vinegar, but you'd need a tanker truck of it.

I added almost a gallon of muriatic acid to my pool last night, and in 30 minutes I was in the pool. I'm still alive to talk about it today.
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!

6. Back To Top    #6

The amount of MA you have to add is very small compared the the amount of water in the pool. As far as your kids opening their eyes under water, our son use to hate wearing goggles. We found a pair at Target made by Speedo that he loves. He even wants to wear them in the bath tub now. It makes a huge difference in the pool when he has them on. Here is a link to the type we bought.
    http://www.target.com/p/speedo-junior-h ... tailbutton
    11,872 Gallon IG Shotcrete play pool
    Blue Granite Pebble Sheen finish
    Hayward SwimClear c4025, Navigator & Tristar 1.75hp pump
    2' Powerfall

7. Back To Top    #7

If it makes you feel any better, add it at night after you are done swimming and leave the pump running.
    ~~ Allison ~~
    Intex 18' x 48" Easy Set Pool, approximately 5455 gallons
    Krystal Clear 1500 GPH Filter Pump Model 56635EG - 635 with Auto Timer
    BBB FOR BEGINNERS ~ THIS IS A MUST READ FOR ANYONE OVERWHELMED!!

8. Back To Top    #8

Add the acid then brush down the sides of the pool. Mixing and brushing at the same time. Then jump in and enjoy!
    17K Kidney Shaped Pool Concrete (Diamond Bright) Pool, 3/4 hp 2 speed 115V Sta-rite Duraglas PEA5D-180L/P2R5D-181L (Impeller C105-92PS Diffuser C1-216P), 1.5 piping, Pentair CC100 Filter , Heat Siphon 100K BTU Heat Pump Pool Heater, Flow meter Blue White Flowmeter Model No. F-30150P, Hayward Astrolight SP0581N, SWCG CalimarTitanium Edition TE45 , Dolphin Nautilus Plus with CleverClean, Lakeland Florida

9. Back To Top    #9

As long as you pour the muriatic acid slowly in front of a return jet while the pump is running, and then wait half an hour with the pump running, it will be completely mixed in an totally safe to swim. Muriatic acid mixes in especially quickly (as long as the pump is running) and as soon as it is mixed it is safe.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

10. Back To Top    #10

Thanks everyone! I did go ahead and purchase the muriatic acid. I retested my TA and PH again just now. I would say that my PH now looks closer to 7.8 but my TA is still 140. Should I still add the acid to lower my PH?
    25,000 gallon
    AG
    Sand
    filter size is 26 diameter
    flow rate 70 GPM
    AG Pool (33ft.) was newly installed in spring 2011

11. Back To Top    #11

It won't hurt. Dose down to 7.2 or so.
    ~~ Allison ~~
    Intex 18' x 48" Easy Set Pool, approximately 5455 gallons
    Krystal Clear 1500 GPH Filter Pump Model 56635EG - 635 with Auto Timer
    BBB FOR BEGINNERS ~ THIS IS A MUST READ FOR ANYONE OVERWHELMED!!

12. Back To Top    #12

Curlyfry, MA is totally safe if you use some common sense. I've probably added 25 gallons or so of MA to my pool since it was completed in December 2010. Follow the advice above and you'll be fine. I recommend you get the TA down a bit by following the instructions in Pool School and try to keep your pH around 7.6 or so.
    9,200 gal. Gunite Luna Quartz French Grey pool with spill over spa, two fountains on tanning ledge (rarely used)
    Pentair Whisperflo 2HP, Pentair CCP Cartridge 420 Sq. Ft., Polaris 280 with booster pump
    Pentair EasyTouch 4, RayPak LoNox 266k Natural Gas heater, Aqua Rite SWCG T Cell 9, Borates, TF-100 test kit