Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Just got filled up with water

1. Back To Top    #1

Just got filled up with water

First time filled up this summer, Had to use water well to fill up. Here are my water tests.
    FC-0
    PH-7.2
    TA-380
    CH-220
    CYA-less than 20
    The only thing pool calc. tells me to add is 49 oz. acid and 1575 oz. vol. of baking soda. Why no bleach. I must be doing something wrong.
    30,000 gal. Igp, gunite, Indoor pool

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Just got filled up with water

Something ain't right!

You don't need acid, your pH is already low. You don't need baking soda, your TA is high. You won't have any CYA unless you add it yourself. And you DO need bleach.

Try again, pay close attention to what numbers you enter and in what space.

With an indoor pool, you won't need much CYA.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

You can't use the defaults in the Pool Calc. You have to enter target values into the "Target" cells just like you have to enter the test values into the "Now" cells.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

Something is screwy. You typically raise TA with baking soda, and your TA is very high and needs to be reduced significantly.

Notice on pool calc you have 2 fields for each chem reading - a current reading, and a target. The difference between those is what drives pool calc and what it is telling you to do.

It almost sounds as if you have punched in numbers for target levels, and left the "Now" column blank, or some mixture like that.

Your numbers are not bad. You just need to get your TA down, bring your CYA level up (slowly), and most importantly, get some chlorine in the pool.

SF
    =====================================
    17K gallon IG freeform Pebble-Tec pool w/ raised spa/waterfall, Hayward 6020 DE filter, Tristar 1 HP circulation pump, Tristar 2.5 HP spa pump, Silencer 2hp blower, Aquarite SWG, Polaris 280 w/ booster pump, Hayward Universal H-Series 400K LPG heater, Ultrapure Ozonator 25, Aqualogic PS-8

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks everyone

6. Back To Top    #6

i got it, put my numbers in wrong place. lol.