Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Stabilizer vs. Clarifier

1. Back To Top    #1

Howard City, MI

Stabilizer vs. Clarifier

What is the difference between a stabilizer and the hth Natural clarifier? Will the clarifier help to raise the CYA?
    Above-Ground Pro Series 18'x48" Metal Frame - Approx 6,450 gallons
    Skimmer Filter System (cartridge): SFS1000 w/ F1500C Pump: 120watts/2.0amps/1500g.p.h
    Purchased & Installed: 6/7/12 (week of)

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Stabilizer vs. Clarifier

Clarifier does not add CYA

3. Back To Top    #3

As I understand it, clarifier is used to get particles that are suspended in your water to clump together and sink to the bottom so you can vacuum them up. I used it once when I had killed a bad algae outbreak and the dead algae was making the water cloudy. However, most recently when I killed algae (after I started using this website) I patiently waited for the dead algae to be filtered out by my sand filter. It took a week or so, but now my water is beautiful, and I didn't have to vacuum up the muck from the clarifier. I backwashed the filter, keep my Cl levels where they should be, and the pool is crystal clear!
    25,000 gal in-ground, vinyl, 1 HP Hayward Max-Flo pump, 250 lb. SwimPro sand filter, Dolphin Diagnostic robot, TF100 test kit

4. Back To Top    #4
    Gurnee, IL (North Suburban Chi-town)

Quote Originally Posted by Terrjam
    What is the difference between a stabilizer and the hth Natural clarifier? Will the clarifier help to raise the CYA?
    drmercer explained clarifier. Stabilizer (AKA cyanuric acid) protects FC from the sun. Without CYA in your pool, ultraviolet radiation will degrade your FC before it can do its job.
    33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months
    The most important article on this site - The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

5. Back To Top    #5

San Rafael, CA USA

What was described in consolidating particles to have them settle to the bottom to vacuum them up is usually called a flocculant. A clarifier also consolidates particles, but not so much as to cause them to fall to the bottom, but instead is designed to have them circulate to the filter where they then get caught and later removed via cleaning/backwashing of the filter.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"