Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Some Numbers After 5 Days

1. Back To Top    #1

Some Numbers After 5 Days

I started the pump Monday evening. I added the salt and started bringing the CH up. Tuesday morning I added the Jack's Magic and started adding stabilizer. Tuesday night I shocked the pool, turned on the SWG and finished adding stabilizer. Wednesday I added more calcium to bring the CH up.

Numbers as of this morning:
    FC - 5 - a little high but holding steady over the last 36 hours so that is good.
    pH - 7.6 without me doing anything yet
    CYA - will wait till next week to test.
    CH - 150 - still a bit low, I want it around 200
    TA - 80. Pool school says TA for salt pools needs to be 50-70 but this is how it came out of the ground, so I will take it. Last year it was 120 from the well.

I have a sequst test kit on order so I can figure out a dosing schedule for the Purple Stuff. I also have a timer coming. Right now I turn the pump on before work and turn it off around dinner time.
    27' Round Might Sun AG Pool 18000 Gallon Intex Krystal Clear SWG Hayward Pump/Filter on a Timer

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Some Numbers After 5 Days

You seem to be doing very well.

With a vinyl liner pool there is no reason to add calcium, though it doesn't hurt.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

All in all that looks pretty good but you don't need to worry about the CH in a vinyl pool unless you have some equipment (i.e. heater) that the warranty requires you to have it at a certain level.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

With the CH, I didn't think so for vinyl either, but the folks at Jack's said their products work best with CH at 200-240. That could also be they assume a CH around that level when developing the products so don't do much testing at different levels, but based on my experience last year with the old pool, I had a lot less issues once I raised the CH.
    27' Round Might Sun AG Pool 18000 Gallon Intex Krystal Clear SWG Hayward Pump/Filter on a Timer