Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Hayward Matrix vs Pentair Dynamo/Optiflow

1. Back To Top    #1

Hayward Matrix vs Pentair Dynamo/Optiflow

Ok guys/gals it's new pump time for me, I'm looking at a 1hp 2 speed just wanted some peoples feedback on the models I've chosen.
    Thanks,
    Mike

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Hayward Matrix vs Pentair Dynamo/Optiflow

All are good pumps, it is the size that will make the difference. With a 3.14 sq-ft filter, you will want to keep flow rates below 47 GPM. For all three, a 1 URHP is about the right size although the Matrix is a little more powerful than the other two. If I had to choose, I would probably choose the Optiflo because I like the pump lid a little better.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks for the info Mark, is the hayward pump more powerful because it of a higher amperage draw and more expensive to run?

4. Back To Top    #4

Every pump has a different head curve and even if they have the same label HP, it doesn't mean they will perform the same. The Matrix has a slightly higher head curve which means it will produce more flow rate and use a little more energy to do so but the over efficiency as measured by gallons pumped per watt-hr is probably not much different than the other pumps. So as long you compensate the run time for the flow rate differences, there should be no difference in energy cost.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater