Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Intex 2650 Sand Filter and vacuuming

1. Back To Top    #1

Intex 2650 Sand Filter and vacuuming

So I bought an Intex 2650 sand filter/pump to replace the inferior pump that came with my 18' Ultra Frame. It is supposed to arrive today. I have a question about hooking up an actual vacuum. From browsing this forum and other resources, all vacuums seem to attach to the "thru the wall" skimmer or a vacuum adapter plate on a "thru the wall" skimmer. My question is this...can I hook up a vacuum directly to my new sand/filter pump? Or do I have to attach it to the port where my cheapie over the wall skimmer unit is located? Or do I have to have a "thru the wall" skimmer to use a true vacuum? Granted, I would love a "thru the wall" skimmer...but I'm a newbie and I'm taking baby steps with everything. Appreciate any insight.
    18' x 48" Round AGP. Intex 2650 Sand Filter/Pump. Intex SWG

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Intex 2650 Sand Filter and vacuuming

You can just attach it to the port the over the wall skimmer attaches to. Depending on the size of your vacuum hose it may fit inside the opening or you might have to use the hose off the skimmer and put the vacuum hose into it. There'll be enough suction from the pump to hold it in place.

24'x52" Artesian w/ Portifino liner - Hayward 1hp powerflo matrix w/24" sand filter - AquaTrol RJ SWG. Solar heating to come. -

3. Back To Top    #3

Checkout this video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YfLnsQnt5mc

It shows how I connected a standard pool vac to an intex pool pump and filter.
    15 ft x 48" Intex metal frame pool.
    Standard Intex skimmer
    Intex 1600gph Sand Filter

4. Back To Top    #4

I use basically the same technique that cbgreely mentioned in his video, olny I don't use the adapter, I just place the vacuum hose over the blue Intex skimmer attachment. I'm actually on TFP now trying to find out the best way to change out my return that came with my Intex. If you return has a strainer cover and your skimmer adapter screws on over that cover, I would change it to the return that came with the sand filter....the one that will allow you to remove the strainer and then screw on the skimmer/vacuum adapter. Otherwise bugs,grass,hair,etc. will clog up the return strainer and you lose suction.
    Intex Ultra 16x48
    Intex 2650 Sand Filter
    Installed June 2, 2012

5. Back To Top    #5

When I tried this I lost all suction power and the pressure on the filter drops to zero. What am I doing wrong??
    Ag ultra intex 14x42
    2650 intex sand filter/pump
    Krystal Clear SWG

6. Back To Top    #6

Did you make sure to fill the entire hose with water first?
    15 ft x 48" Intex metal frame pool.
    Standard Intex skimmer
    Intex 1600gph Sand Filter

7. Back To Top    #7

got it working...air in the hose but got it working now thanks!
    Ag ultra intex 14x42
    2650 intex sand filter/pump
    Krystal Clear SWG

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by cbgreely View Post
    Checkout this video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YfLnsQnt5mc

It shows how I connected a standard pool vac to an intex pool pump and filter.

thanks, just bought this part today on the off chance it would work, glad to know it does!

will be vaccing tomorrow

cheers!
    ~6500 gal 18' x 52" easy set agp, 7th year
    Intex 2650 sand filter, chlorine
    TF100 Test Kit
    Becoming a TFP lifetime supporter and purchasing the TF100 is absolutely the best money I have ever spent! :-D

9. Back To Top    #9

If you have the Intex over the wall skimmer; Intex's maintenece kit comes with every thing you need for vacuuming. There is a canister, filter bag and adapter that goes in the skimmer. It also comes with vacuum head, pole, hose, brush and some other items.