How much bleach

Jun 14, 2012
MA
I just set up my new 15" - 4 pool this week. I am bringing up the CYA level, I am adding 16 oz pool conditioner each night for three nights. I have decide to try bleach this year instead of tablets. I have used the pool calculator. I am wondering what an average amount of bleach will I expect to add every night or other night.

1380ken:

Managing how much bleach you need to add to maintain the appropriate FC level in your pool is known as chlorine demand. This is dependent on several factors including the # of gallons of water in your pool, the strength % of your bleach, the CYA level, amount of sunlight your pool gets each day, water temperature, bather load, and how diligent you are in keeping the pool free from debris (skimming leaves out, vacuuming, etc.). You will get a feel for your pool's normal chlorine demand with experience. Even after you get a feel for that, you will need to make occasional adjustments for events like pool parties, heavy rain (can introduce organic matter into the pool), etc. All other things held constant, chlorine demand tends to drop as water temperature drops and rises as water temperature increases.

Continue using the Pool Calculator. It will give you the correct information based on your inputs.

BTW, what is the "pool conditioner" you are adding? Is that the CYA (stabilizer) or something else?

You'll loose somewhere around 2-3ppm a day on average. Use Pool Calc to determine how much bleach that is based on your gallons. Obviously this is just an estimate - but will give you a good idea of how much bleach to buy if you wanted to stock up for a few weeks.

The conditioner is CYA. I am adding enough to get to 32 ppm. My pool gets about 1/2 sun. I was thinking that 32 ppm should be high enough. I am planning on shocking it once a week with pool essentials shock, which I think is just chlorine. I need to check what is in the shock. I could just shock it with bleach but I bought the shock.

1380ken said:
The conditioner is CYA. I am adding enough to get to 32 ppm. My pool gets about 1/2 sun. I was thinking that 32 ppm should be high enough. I am planning on shocking it once a week with pool essentials shock, which I think is just chlorine. I need to check what is in the shock. I could just shock it with bleach but I bought the shock.
Be careful! That "shock" may drive your CYA through the roof, rendering your chlorine ineffective, which ultimately will lead to a cloudy and/or green pool. Or it could add Calcium, which can cause cloudiness and scale. And if it does start scaling, you won't be able to use a wire brush to loosen it, with a vinyl liner. And provided you always maintain enough chlorine for your CYA level, you may never need to raise chlorine to shock level. Ever.

My advice: read Pool School carefully.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.