Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: How much bleach

1. Back To Top    #1

How much bleach

I just set up my new 15" - 4 pool this week. I am bringing up the CYA level, I am adding 16 oz pool conditioner each night for three nights. I have decide to try bleach this year instead of tablets. I have used the pool calculator. I am wondering what an average amount of bleach will I expect to add every night or other night.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: How much bleach

1380ken:

Managing how much bleach you need to add to maintain the appropriate FC level in your pool is known as chlorine demand. This is dependent on several factors including the # of gallons of water in your pool, the strength % of your bleach, the CYA level, amount of sunlight your pool gets each day, water temperature, bather load, and how diligent you are in keeping the pool free from debris (skimming leaves out, vacuuming, etc.). You will get a feel for your pool's normal chlorine demand with experience. Even after you get a feel for that, you will need to make occasional adjustments for events like pool parties, heavy rain (can introduce organic matter into the pool), etc. All other things held constant, chlorine demand tends to drop as water temperature drops and rises as water temperature increases.

Continue using the Pool Calculator. It will give you the correct information based on your inputs.

BTW, what is the "pool conditioner" you are adding? Is that the CYA (stabilizer) or something else?
    Gold Supporter, TFP Lifetime Supporter, 26,680 gal Plaster IGP 3.5 - 10' depth / Attached Waterfall Spa, Manually Chlorinated, Triton Sand Filter, 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP 1-speed Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 Pump, 400K BTU NG Teledyne Laars Series One Heater, Polaris 360, Test Kit Comparison, Chlorine/CYA Chart, SLAMing Your Pool, OCLT
    A good test kit is an investment, not an expense.

3. Back To Top    #3

You'll loose somewhere around 2-3ppm a day on average. Use Pool Calc to determine how much bleach that is based on your gallons. Obviously this is just an estimate - but will give you a good idea of how much bleach to buy if you wanted to stock up for a few weeks.
    16K Gal Plaster | Compupool SWG | Intelliflow VF | TF-100

4. Back To Top    #4

The conditioner is CYA. I am adding enough to get to 32 ppm. My pool gets about 1/2 sun. I was thinking that 32 ppm should be high enough. I am planning on shocking it once a week with pool essentials shock, which I think is just chlorine. I need to check what is in the shock. I could just shock it with bleach but I bought the shock.

5. Back To Top    #5

If you keep your FC at the appropriate level, there is no need to shock, especially not a weekly shock.
    ~~ Allison ~~
    Intex 18' x 48" Easy Set Pool, approximately 5455 gallons
    Krystal Clear 1500 GPH Filter Pump Model 56635EG - 635 with Auto Timer
    BBB FOR BEGINNERS ~ THIS IS A MUST READ FOR ANYONE OVERWHELMED!!

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by 1380ken
    The conditioner is CYA. I am adding enough to get to 32 ppm. My pool gets about 1/2 sun. I was thinking that 32 ppm should be high enough. I am planning on shocking it once a week with pool essentials shock, which I think is just chlorine. I need to check what is in the shock. I could just shock it with bleach but I bought the shock.
    Be careful! That "shock" may drive your CYA through the roof, rendering your chlorine ineffective, which ultimately will lead to a cloudy and/or green pool. Or it could add Calcium, which can cause cloudiness and scale. And if it does start scaling, you won't be able to use a wire brush to loosen it, with a vinyl liner. And provided you always maintain enough chlorine for your CYA level, you may never need to raise chlorine to shock level. Ever.

My advice: read Pool School carefully.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!