Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Just filled new pool, yellowish green water

1. Back To Top    #1

Just filled new pool, yellowish green water

New pool, new property, new well and avoiding the overly opinionated neighbors assistance and the local pool store , I've read all these posts, my head is spinning, but I am not wanting to fail at this. Any tips, well water filled, half bypassed on softner / carbon filters other half filled thru whole house system /green murky water and Crazy test levels? Pool has been filled full for 8 hours I've added 32oz of HTH metal and stain remover, and roughly a quart or algicide , filter/pump is running, heavy rusty oily residue bubbling in skimmer basket , babysitting it and cleaning out hourly, new find as of 11pm, pump is near worthless, upgrading sooner than predicted, Paper towel layed in skimmer basket is catching a lot of metal residue (I assume ??)
    How to / when to / shock ? Wanting to go with BBB supplies ,
    Taking current water sample into town in the am
    Help -- don't want to do to much to soon or to little to late !!
    22x52 pro series steel frame new 2013 /10.5k / Intex Sand filter (new) 3000gph /1hp /well water/ tf100 kit w BBB method

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Just filled new pool, yellowish green water

That is most likely caused by iron in the water, fairly common with well water. Sequestrant should clear it up.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

I let the pump run all night , had a paper towel covering the skimmer basket, it was dark red brown this morning,
    Test results
    FC 1
    Ph 8
    TA 290
    CH 330
    Planning on shocking it this morning, want to get my FC up and see where that goes?
    Any helpful tips please :/
    22x52 pro series steel frame new 2013 /10.5k / Intex Sand filter (new) 3000gph /1hp /well water/ tf100 kit w BBB method

4. Back To Top    #4

If possible, before shocking, lower your PH to 7.2.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

Update,
    1. Need to get a better test kit , asap
    2. Test results from pool co
    FC 0
    TCI .54
    PH 7.5
    CH ( they dont test for?)
    TA 113
    CYA 0 ! Yeah!
    There recommendations
    3gal of shock
    Start chlor tabs
    3oz of algicide