Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: stripped screw on Jandy valve

1. Back To Top    #1

stripped screw on Jandy valve

Just wondering if anyone has had any success repairing a stripped screw Jandy valves. I've been chasing down a suction side leak and found the grease fitting was leaking a bit, but when I went to take the valve apart and grease the O rings I found that one of the screws was stripped. So I'd like to rule that out as part of the suction leak. The valve was installed so tight to another valve and elbows that if I replace it I'd have to replace two valves and three elbows. My thoughts are either try to fill the hole with Gflex epoxy which will bind plasics, then drill and tap it, or put an oversized screw in. Anyone that's had success with this problem please tell me how you did it.

Thanks,
    22K gallon free form pebble tec pool, non screened, surrounded by 3, 100+ year old Live Oaks (pure misery for 3 months every spring) elevated non heated spa, jandy cl340 filter, Pentair Inteliflo 3hp pump, Jandy 1400 swg, infloor cleaning system which has had all outlets removed due to uselessness of system with the organic load the pool carries and now low rp

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: stripped screw on Jandy valve

In my radio controlled vehicle experience the fix for stripped plastic screw holes is what you said...fill with epoxy or crazy glue then screw in the same screw. The threads should be created in the epoxy before it sets. I'd use epoxy for such a large screw hole...crazy glue works for smaller stuff.

My only worry on a valve is that it might fuse the case together at that point and you'd never be able to open it again.

22K IG vinyl, .5HP Northstar pump, S244T filter, AutoPilot Digital w/SC-48 cell

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: stripped screw on Jandy valve

yeah, that was my concern with epoxy, having the valve cover fused and not being able to get it off. That's why I was thinking of filling it, let it dry, then drill and tap it out with the screw. I was hoping someone had a simple fix that works. I was also thinking of using a q tip to put some cpvc glue in the hole to soften the stripped threads, then screwing the screw back in and letting it harden. Hopefully I'd then be able to back the screw out and put the top back on.

Thanks,
    22K gallon free form pebble tec pool, non screened, surrounded by 3, 100+ year old Live Oaks (pure misery for 3 months every spring) elevated non heated spa, jandy cl340 filter, Pentair Inteliflo 3hp pump, Jandy 1400 swg, infloor cleaning system which has had all outlets removed due to uselessness of system with the organic load the pool carries and now low rp