Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: CYA?

1. Back To Top    #1

CYA?

From pool school regarding CYA
    Solid stabilizer can take up to a week to fully register on the test
    For the full story read
    http://www.troublefreepool.com/start...rs-t47681.html
    Basically my parents hired some people to open my pool. Pre-open CYA was 0. I don't know what they used to shock it, but assume (due to some educated guessing) there was CYA in it. They worked on it Monday, I retested the water again this afternoon and CYA was still at 0. My question is should this gradually appear in testing? Or would it all appear at once?
    15k gallon IG kidney pool with attached spa
    plaster
    sand filter

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: CYA?

If they used dichlor, the CYA it adds will show up on the test in a couple of hours (i.e. already). If they added granular cyanuric acid, which seems unlikely, it won't show up yet. The other thing to keep in mind, the test can read zero when CYA is as high as 20.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

I have some stabilizer. Do you think it'd be safe for me to add a small dose? Seems like during the day my chlorine level drops really fast...
    15k gallon IG kidney pool with attached spa
    plaster
    sand filter

4. Back To Top    #4

I would give it a couple of days, remember CYA is easy to add, but requires water replacement to remove. When/if you do decide to add put in less than you think you will need, then wait a week and retest, repeat if needed. In my experience it mostly shows up in 3-5 days, but the last 20-30% may take 7-9 days to appear on the test.
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~