Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Magic Eraser

1. Back To Top    #1

Magic Eraser

The magic eraser works wonders on the grime that was accumulated on my vinyl liner and coping over the years of prior owner neglect, is there any water chemistry issues that can happen that anyone is aware of from what ever soapy compound is on the magic eraser?
    24,000 Gallon Vinyl Grecian IG,Triton2 Sand Filter / Pentair Super Flo 1 HP Dual Speed Pump ,
    Stenner Peristaltic Pump Injection w/15 gal drum,Stubbed up supply/return for future solar panels :)
    TF100 Rocks !! Pool School....

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Magic Eraser

I use Magic Erasers for my vinyl surface too. They are amazing, if not quite magic. If you are using the original Magic Eraser, there are no soaps/compounds at all in them. They are melamine foam and work by simple abrasion.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Melamine_foam
    12,000 gallon IG vinyl pool, 1 HP pump, sand filter, TF-100 test kit, Raypak heater. Converted from Bacqa June 2011. Trouble Free ever since.

3. Back To Top    #3

I agree... They are awesome little things !
    Indiana, ABG 24'x52" Galveston by Blue Cascade (Craigslist buy w/part of deck included), 13,500 gallons, Intex SWG, solar panels mix 2, TF-100 test kit.

Test kits compared
    Purchase test kits

4. Back To Top    #4

I use them too, makes the steps white again!
    Bill Moyer
    CWO4 USN (Ret)
    Pensacola, FL
    10k gallon 12x24 in ground pool built 2008, vinyl, Pentair Intellichlor IC40, Pentair Intelliflo v/s pump, Hayward sand filter. Using the BBB method.

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by MattB
    I use Magic Erasers for my vinyl surface too. They are amazing, if not quite magic. If you are using the original Magic Eraser, there are no soaps/compounds at all in them. They are melamine foam and work by simple abrasion.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Melamine_foam
    Looks like I'll have to double check the wife didnt buy a type other then the original, it seemed to have a very mild soap sud action as I used it And it eventually shriveled(very compressed compared to new I guess) up to nothing I guess when it was basically used up...
    24,000 Gallon Vinyl Grecian IG,Triton2 Sand Filter / Pentair Super Flo 1 HP Dual Speed Pump ,
    Stenner Peristaltic Pump Injection w/15 gal drum,Stubbed up supply/return for future solar panels :)
    TF100 Rocks !! Pool School....

6. Back To Top    #6

It looks like there are four varieties of Mr. Clean Magic Erasers--Original, Extra Power, Bath Scrubber, and Kitchen Scrubber.

The Kitchen Scrubber version definitely has Dawn dish soap in it: http://www.mrclean.com/en_US/magic-eras ... crubber.do
    If you are using that one, that would for sure be the cause of your soap sud action.

I'm not sure about the other two, I couldn't find any definitive information. I always stick with "Original".

EDIT: The Bath Scrubber has a soap scum fighting additive in it: http://www.mrclean.com/en_US/magic-eras ... febreze.do
    Don't use that one either.
    12,000 gallon IG vinyl pool, 1 HP pump, sand filter, TF-100 test kit, Raypak heater. Converted from Bacqa June 2011. Trouble Free ever since.