Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Thinking about converting to salt

1. Back To Top    #1

Thinking about converting to salt

After 4 years of chlorine, I am thinking about going to SWCG.
    I have enjoyed someone else's salt pool so I already know it feels good, etc.
    I also am convinced the cost is not prohibitive, if I consider I wouldn't be buying chlorine anymore.

My questions are directed to those who have used salt for 3 or more years:
    Does it corrode your stone/brickwork?
    Does it corrode your filter?
    Does it corrode your heater?
    Have you had to replace your temperature sensor yet?

In-ground, 13,000 gallon pool, plaster, built 2008-9.
    Pump Whisper-flow 60 gpm DE filter
    Spa: 2013 Hot Springs/salt generator

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Thinking about converting to salt

I have had a SWG pool for over six years now. As far as stone deteriation,I can't help. My pool was built as a salt pool and has no natural stone. I do hear that softer stone can be damaged by salt though. Corrosion has not been an issue with any of my equipment. I did have to replace my cell this year after 6+ years at a cost of about $500. That makes my chlorine cost $83 per year (plus the electricity to run the SWG).

One thing is that the SWG causes the pH to rise a bit, so you do use bit more acid. Once I got control of the TA and then added borates, even that became a non issue.

I love it and would never go back to having to add chlorine.
    Tucson, AZ
    19k gallon Pebble Tec play pool/spa, Pentair Intelliflo VS (3 hp) 011018, Super II 2hp (for spa), Aqua Rite T-15 SWG, Pro Grid 60 DE filter, Hayward H400 & Heliocol Solar heating, A&A infloor system, fill water w/high CH and TA, 50 ppm borates,TF-100 test kit

3. Back To Top    #3
    Silver Spring, MD

Re: Thinking about converting to salt

Welcome to TFP!

We have never had a single instance on the forum where either a filter or heater was corroded by salt at SWG levels. There have been a couple of cases of damage to stone work, but that is very rare. Temperature sensors do fail occasionally, but that is fairly unusual, not even close to the most common problems reported. No SWG is completely trouble free, but overall problems are fairly rare.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School