Need help! Re: Epoxy fiberglass paint in our pool.

Apr 24, 2008
Las Vegas
About 6 years ago we painted our inground swimming pool with an epoxy fiberglass resin. Last summer when we had people swimming in it they complained of "itchy bottoms and legs". Especially children but I also got to experience this lovely pool itch. Apparently, the paint has broken down and allowed the fiberglass fiber to stick up out of the paint, effectively "stabbing" anyone who sits on the surface. So now the question is this: aside from sanblasting and replastering (which is not in the budget right now) is there any other solution to this problem? Would it be possible to paint over the epoxy with marine paint and cover the fibers? Has anyone else out there experienced this problem before? We live in a VERY hot, Very dry climate (las Vegas) but it also gets cold in the winter, sometimes cold enough to cause the water to ice over a little bit in the winter. I'd greatly appreciate anyone's help in this situation.

Nevadawoman said:
About 6 years ago we painted our inground swimming pool with an epoxy fiberglass resin. Last summer when we had people swimming in it they complained of "itchy bottoms and legs". Especially children but I also got to experience this lovely pool itch. Apparently, the paint has broken down and allowed the fiberglass fiber to stick up out of the paint, effectively "stabbing" anyone who sits on the surface. So now the question is this: aside from sanblasting and replastering (which is not in the budget right now) is there any other solution to this problem? Would it be possible to paint over the epoxy with marine paint and cover the fibers? Has anyone else out there experienced this problem before? We live in a VERY hot, Very dry climate (las Vegas) but it also gets cold in the winter, sometimes cold enough to cause the water to ice over a little bit in the winter. I'd greatly appreciate anyone's help in this situation.

I believe the answer is to drain the pool and re-paint with another coat of pool epoxy. From what I have read, depending on the thickness of the original coat 4-8 years is about the average life of an epoxy paint job. I am about to embark on such a project myself and have been reading up a lot.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.