Do it yourself pool heating

Aug 8, 2011
Central MA
Is there any ideas floating around for do it yourself pool heating? I've heard of people running lines of black PVC to heat the water but just how effective is it? Alternatives? Trying to save 2k on a solar pool heating system...

That idea has been tossed around for a number of years on the forum. As JohnT says, the commercially made panels end up costing close to the same without nearly the headaches and labor of doing black poly pipes.

We've built a DIY solar heater this year. This week temp went from 78 up to 84. Cost us about $150 for a 300' roll.

Of coarse it's in the 90's outside and the water may have warmed up on its own.

woodyp said:
http://www.redneckpoolheater.com/

Problem solved.

Oh boy, this photo brought back baaaaad memories for me. When we had an AG pool, my husband did something very similar to this. He put a radiator on the grill and heated the pool. I almost had to move out of our home. very embarrassing. Luckily, he didn't think it did a good enough job. Now we have a pool with a 'real' heater. Guess we didn't call our thread build 'Indiana Hill Billy Pool build' for nothing!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Did you read about the "cajun conversion", phase two of the redneck heater? Aside from being extremely dangerous, it actually heated the pool fairly well.

The most heat you can get for your money is to purchase commercial solar panels and do the install yourself.

I did a lot of research and I finally built my own. In conjunction with a good solar cover, it heated my pool into the 80's last March. It worked VERY well but I'm in Arizona so I get LOTS of sunny days. Unfortunately, not matter what solar heater you get, it won't keep the pool warm in the middle of winter, even here in the Phoenix area but it sure extends my swim season. I've been swimming in warm waters since March and I'm hoping it will keep the pool warm enough well into November and possibly December.
Anyway, I built my own but I did some research on how many heaters I needed to do the job. I figured 4 of them but I'm thinking of installing at least 2 more.
Each heater cost me about 40 bucks and a couple hours to make.
So far, I'm very happy with them. The plumbing was more of a problem than the heaters but none of it was tough.
It's pretty hot here lately so now I'm running them at night to keep the water temps DOWN. lol.
It's been well into the 100's and even up to 113 lately so heat is NOT a problem until October or so.

Not to be difficult, but I'm in northern Ontario Canada so we are definitely heat challenged, but on a warm sunny day even I can get 4 degree increase no problem using only a good solar blanket, so a 4-6 degree increase with DIY isn't spectacular.
I installed 2 4'X20' Fafco Sunsavers last week, yesterday was the first clear/hot day, my pool went up 10 degrees in one day, now that is awesome.

I contemplated a DIY system but in the end decided that the people who claim commercial systems are more efficient were probably right.

ALso, be aware that it's not just about how hot the water coming out is, it's about how much water you flow thru it. I've dialed mine in so instead of a little bit of hot water it has a lot of warm water coming out.

Just putting it out there.

I got my panels off Craigslist - some for free and some for small amounts of money. I spent $75 total on 5 large panels. The piping and control valves cost a lot more than that but if you watch Craigslist you will find people who are getting rid of panels cheap - but they go fast so you need to check often and call fast when you see them.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.