Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Do it yourself pool heating

1. Back To Top    #1

Do it yourself pool heating

Is there any ideas floating around for do it yourself pool heating? I've heard of people running lines of black PVC to heat the water but just how effective is it? Alternatives? Trying to save 2k on a solar pool heating system...
    27 foot AG, CYA producing in-line Pent-Air Chlorinator.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Do it yourself pool heating

You could move to Texas, mine's plenty warm.
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

Generally commercial panels are more efficient and cheaper.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by Sulteric
    Trying to save 2k on a solar pool heating system...
    What were you buying?

I have about $600 into mine, 6X 2'X20" system. Manual valves.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

That idea has been tossed around for a number of years on the forum. As JohnT says, the commercially made panels end up costing close to the same without nearly the headaches and labor of doing black poly pipes.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

7. Back To Top    #7

Do it yourself pool heating

That's alot of copper! $$$
    18' x 33' Aqua leader AGP (~19k gal) w/hayward swimpro voyager cartridge filter and 2hp hayward pump.
    8 Gal LQ, hayward heater.

8. Back To Top    #8

We've built a DIY solar heater this year. This week temp went from 78 up to 84. Cost us about $150 for a 300' roll.

Of coarse it's in the 90's outside and the water may have warmed up on its own.

9. Back To Top    #9

My neighbors teenager built a solar heater, piece of plywood, 2x4 side and plexiglass on top. He's got about 60' of black pipe in it......so sad. LOL
    18'x43' Sport Pool
    19,000 Gallons Vinyl Liner 3'-3.5'-4'
    SWCG and D.E. Filter
    Test Kits - Pool Calculator - Chlorine/CYA Chart - Pool School

Secret Weapon for Pool Chemistry Testing

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by woodyp
    http://www.redneckpoolheater.com/

Problem solved.
    Oh boy, this photo brought back baaaaad memories for me. When we had an AG pool, my husband did something very similar to this. He put a radiator on the grill and heated the pool. I almost had to move out of our home. very embarrassing. Luckily, he didn't think it did a good enough job. Now we have a pool with a 'real' heater. Guess we didn't call our thread build 'Indiana Hill Billy Pool build' for nothing!
    Theresa and/or Gary

Complete DIY: 20x40' rectangle. Resin walls, vinyl lined. 33000 gallons. Full width steps. 8' deep. Diving board, slide. Hayward pro series super pump, sand filter. Raypack 336K BTU heater. Main drain, 2 skimmers, 3 returns, 2 amerilite lights with quick change lens Aquamatic auto cover and a partridge in a pear tree.
    Breaking our backs in the hopes that one of our six kids will care for us when we are old ;)

11. Back To Top    #11

Now there's a man who just needs a bigger grill.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

12. Back To Top    #12

That is actually the funniest DIY pool heater I've ever seen. Almost worse than the wheelbarrow on fire in the middle of the pool.
    18'x48" AG
    Pentair 1 1/2 HP Dynamo Pump
    Sand Dollar Sand Filter w/ Zeobrite
    Lil Shark Vacuum System
    Hard Plumbed

13. Back To Top    #13

Did you read about the "cajun conversion", phase two of the redneck heater? Aside from being extremely dangerous, it actually heated the pool fairly well.

The most heat you can get for your money is to purchase commercial solar panels and do the install yourself.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

14. Back To Top    #14

I did a lot of research and I finally built my own. In conjunction with a good solar cover, it heated my pool into the 80's last March. It worked VERY well but I'm in Arizona so I get LOTS of sunny days. Unfortunately, not matter what solar heater you get, it won't keep the pool warm in the middle of winter, even here in the Phoenix area but it sure extends my swim season. I've been swimming in warm waters since March and I'm hoping it will keep the pool warm enough well into November and possibly December.
    Anyway, I built my own but I did some research on how many heaters I needed to do the job. I figured 4 of them but I'm thinking of installing at least 2 more.
    Each heater cost me about 40 bucks and a couple hours to make.
    So far, I'm very happy with them. The plumbing was more of a problem than the heaters but none of it was tough.
    It's pretty hot here lately so now I'm running them at night to keep the water temps DOWN. lol.
    It's been well into the 100's and even up to 113 lately so heat is NOT a problem until October or so.
    Mesa Arizona. Old school 26,000 gallon in ground plaster pool with sand filter built in 1984.

15. Back To Top    #15

Not to be difficult, but I'm in northern Ontario Canada so we are definitely heat challenged, but on a warm sunny day even I can get 4 degree increase no problem using only a good solar blanket, so a 4-6 degree increase with DIY isn't spectacular.
    I installed 2 4'X20' Fafco Sunsavers last week, yesterday was the first clear/hot day, my pool went up 10 degrees in one day, now that is awesome.

I contemplated a DIY system but in the end decided that the people who claim commercial systems are more efficient were probably right.

ALso, be aware that it's not just about how hot the water coming out is, it's about how much water you flow thru it. I've dialed mine in so instead of a little bit of hot water it has a lot of warm water coming out.

Just putting it out there.
    20' X 54" Sharkline Matrix Resin AGP, 9400 Gallons, Sta-Rite 1 HP Dynamo Pump, 150 lb Pentair Sand Filter, Gorilla Pad,
    Foam Cove, Taylor K-2006 kit, BBB method, 8'X20' Fafco Sunsaver Hard Plumb, DIY Fountain, Margarittaville Fiji

My Build: one-man-one-pool-and-one-deck-agp-pics-t37172.html
    My Build 'To-Do' List for other DIY'ers: my-pool-build-list-t40249.html?hilit=list

16. Back To Top    #16

Quote Originally Posted by RobbieH
    You could move to Texas, mine's plenty warm.
    I really like this idea. I have a wife and kid, make room.
    Northeast PA (Mt Cobb) 16,000 gallon in ground salt pool with all Pentair automation and Intelliflo VS pump. Also part of the pool is a two 5-horsepower 3-jet Badujet swim system. For heating we use a 384 sq-ft Heliocol solar pool heating system and additional solar from the 160 sq-ft house solar heating system.

17. Back To Top    #17

I got my panels off Craigslist - some for free and some for small amounts of money. I spent $75 total on 5 large panels. The piping and control valves cost a lot more than that but if you watch Craigslist you will find people who are getting rid of panels cheap - but they go fast so you need to check often and call fast when you see them.
    21K Gal Vinyl In Ground with block wall sides (Self Built with help), Pentair Easy Touch controller, Pentair Intelliflo pump, Intellichlor salt system, Clean and Clear Plus filter, SR Smith Typhoon Slide