Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: cya

1. Back To Top    #1

cya

I have been skimming the last pages of forum questions to see if this topic was covered(thank you moderators who keep answering all the questions we newbies have!). I started the season with high CYA levels then the levels dropped as we had 5 to 6 inches of rain. I did shock the pool which probably took 6 to 7 days to complete and all has been well but I notice my cya levels seem to be creeping up. how is this possible? Admittedly, the test is not intensely accurate because you are "eyeballing" when the dot disappears, but I don't think I would be that inaccurate. Does cya occur in nature at all. i was at 50 and now it looks to be closer to 65. I repeated the test to be sure. At the start of the season I was using pucks but haven't since May. thanks!
    17x33 inground vinyl pool, 22,000 gallons, 1 1/2 hp hayward pump, Hayward systemII DE filter with chlorinator, north central pennsylvania, heater

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: cya

No, it can't creep up on its own.
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

What are you using to add chlorine to the pool? Several forms of chlorine contain CYA.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

Also the test is only good to about +/-10 and the lighting has a large affect on the test results. See:
    extended-test-kit-directions-t25081.html#p206397
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

I have been using Walmart and dollar store bleach(Tundra). the ingredients say 6% sodium hypochlorite and 94% inert ingredients. could that contain any stailizers? And I sure wouldn't swear I am doing the test 100% the same each time and yes I have already read the extended directions. I try to use the same light but the light can be variable.
    17x33 inground vinyl pool, 22,000 gallons, 1 1/2 hp hayward pump, Hayward systemII DE filter with chlorinator, north central pennsylvania, heater

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by mdreese
    I have been using Walmart and dollar store bleach(Tundra). the ingredients say 6% sodium hypochlorite and 94% inert ingredients. could that contain any stabilizers?
    No ... it is water, salt, and small amount of lye
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!