Fire Magic or Lynx grill looking for assistance

Aug 15, 2008
St. Charles IL
Looking at both of these grills Fire Magic E790 and Lynx 42". Anyone have either of these grills.
Getting normal burners no prosear unless I go with the larger 54" Lynx or E1060 Fire Magic, Tired of the cheap gas grills on the market and want an American made quailty grill.

I was gonna postpone a grill purchase till end of summer and look for a good deal. But I want to grill and was planning on spending sub $1500. Can one of you BGE'ers rave on em' and help me make a decision? They are actually based in my city, I can hit up the main office....

Let's see rave on the egg. Tomorrow I am going to cook some ribs. I will get up when my 3 year old wakes us up prolly about 7:30 light my grill with a propane torch. Get out my ribs hook up my stoker. The stoker is a fan with a controller that you hook up to your computer to control the temp. I will set it to keep the temp at 225 and it will not fluctuate more than five degrees for as long as I cook them. I have done a Boston butt for 15 hrs without adding lump charcoal. However if I wanted to cook steaks I would open the damper all the way and light it and walk away for about 30 minutes it will be around 700 degrees. No gas grill can do that. I have 5 slabs of ribs and it will fit just fine.

45a0b3ec-1d4f-e55d.jpg

Prime rib on my egg

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1340415206.603393.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1340415206.603393.jpg
    18.7 KB · Views: 108

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I've got a Big Steel Keg (now called the broil king keg). It is an insulated steel version of the big green egg; a bit less expensive and a LOT lighter and less delicate. It cooks the same as an egg, and is worth looking at as well. Plus, it looks like a keg and not an avocado!

In response to the original post, I'll throw in my $.02 on the Lynx grill. I bought a 27" Lynx grill several years ago at a lower cost than they are selling for these days but it was still close to $2000. After a few years, I had problems with the burners which have a lifetime warranty but I had to pay $30 (I think) shipping per burner to get the replacements. Also, the trays that the ceramic briquettes sit on rotted out and that cost me a another hundred dollars more to replace. I was never thrilled with the heat output of the burners and always wanted it to be hotter to properly sear steaks. The point when I decided that I really did not like the grill was when my parents bought a $300 Weber gas grill that totally outperformed my $2000 grill! Their Weber would be over 500 degrees withing minutes of lighting it and works great for searing steaks.

Please take this as an opinion and not fact about every Lynx grill. I could have gotten a bad one from the start. But, if I had to do it again, I would get one of the higher end Weber grills and still pay a lot less than the Lynx.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.