Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Fire Magic or Lynx grill looking for assistance

1. Back To Top    #1

Fire Magic or Lynx grill looking for assistance

Looking at both of these grills Fire Magic E790 and Lynx 42". Anyone have either of these grills.
    Getting normal burners no prosear unless I go with the larger 54" Lynx or E1060 Fire Magic, Tired of the cheap gas grills on the market and want an American made quailty grill.
    22x52 IG 56K gal 3.6' to 11.6' deep, TruTile w/Vinyl Liner IG pool w/ 12" wide safety ledge
    StaRite System 3 Cartridge filter 450sqft S8M450, Pentair IntelliFlo VF pump 3.2KW
    Hydronic in floor heat & StaRite SR400HD, Pro Logic PS16 w/2 40K Turbo cells.
    4 Hayward Colorlogic lights, Dolphin DL3002 Robotic cleaner
    Saint Charles, IL

2. Back To Top    #2

Have you looked at the Big Green Eggs? I love mine it is easy to control the temp and makes great food. At least give it a look.
    18'x36' inground vinyl liner.Pentair Sand Filter SD-60, Pentair EastTouch IC40 Salt Gen.
    Pentair Legend Cleaner. Pentair SuperFlo 1 hp pump. Color LED pool light.
    Taylor K-2006 (FAS-DPD) w/ SpeedStir. Pool Built October 2013.

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Fire Magic or Lynx grill looking for assistance

Seriously, look at the big green egg. I spent a lot of time and money with gas grills. Wife convinced me to look at the BGE and I have never looked back. Get yourself a heat gun to light it and a thermapen from thermoworks.
    24K gal ( pool,spa,basin)
    Pentair Sand Filter, IG Plaster/ Inifinity Edge - Diamond Brite Onyx
    (2) Sta-Rite 2HP, Pentair 400K BTU heater
    Jandy Aquapure SWG w/ AquaLink, Tiger Shark Robot

4. Back To Top    #4

I use a propane torch to light mine. I have a $1000.00 holland gas grill and I never use it just my Big Green Egg. Thermapen is a must. Don't know how I made it without it.
    18'x36' inground vinyl liner.Pentair Sand Filter SD-60, Pentair EastTouch IC40 Salt Gen.

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by OcneeDawg
    Thermapen is a must. Don't know how I made it without it.
    I don't have one, but I can tell you how I make it - raw or well done! I'd really like to get one...

Divepool, sorry we haven't been able to help you...I know you didn't ask for opinions on the BGE
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden

6. Back To Top    #6

I'll take a look, but we have lots of parties and need the grilling space lots of Friends, food and drinks.

Looking at grills tomorrow and see that their are several place that sell the BGE will take a look.

Thanks for the replies
    22x52 IG 56K gal 3.6' to 11.6' deep, TruTile w/Vinyl Liner IG pool w/ 12" wide safety ledge
    StaRite System 3 Cartridge filter 450sqft S8M450, Pentair IntelliFlo VF pump 3.2KW
    Hydronic in floor heat & StaRite SR400HD, Pro Logic PS16 w/2 40K Turbo cells.
    4 Hayward Colorlogic lights, Dolphin DL3002 Robotic cleaner
    Saint Charles, IL

7. Back To Top    #7

Go to www.ceramicgrillstore.com and look around they have multi level cooking. You can double the cooking space of a large and xl big green egg.

8. Back To Top    #8

I was gonna postpone a grill purchase till end of summer and look for a good deal. But I want to grill and was planning on spending sub $1500. Can one of you BGE'ers rave on em' and help me make a decision? They are actually based in my city, I can hit up the main office....
    18'x43' Sport Pool
    19,000 Gallons Vinyl Liner 3'-3.5'-4'
    SWCG and D.E. Filter
    Test Kits - Pool Calculator - Chlorine/CYA Chart - Pool School

Secret Weapon for Pool Chemistry Testing

9. Back To Top    #9

Let's see rave on the egg. Tomorrow I am going to cook some ribs. I will get up when my 3 year old wakes us up prolly about 7:30 light my grill with a propane torch. Get out my ribs hook up my stoker. The stoker is a fan with a controller that you hook up to your computer to control the temp. I will set it to keep the temp at 225 and it will not fluctuate more than five degrees for as long as I cook them. I have done a Boston butt for 15 hrs without adding lump charcoal. However if I wanted to cook steaks I would open the damper all the way and light it and walk away for about 30 minutes it will be around 700 degrees. No gas grill can do that. I have 5 slabs of ribs and it will fit just fine.

10. Back To Top    #10

Prime rib on my egg
    Attached Images Attached Images

11. Back To Top    #11

t
    Boston Butt

Smoked chicken

12. Back To Top    #12

Ribs smoking on the grill

Ribs were almost all gone before I took the picture.

The new handle for my egg.

13. Back To Top    #13

Quote Originally Posted by OcneeDawg

Ribs smoking on the grill

Ribs were almost all gone before I took the picture.

The new handle for my egg.

The last pic is blasphemy!!!!
    18'x43' Sport Pool
    19,000 Gallons Vinyl Liner 3'-3.5'-4'
    SWCG and D.E. Filter
    Test Kits - Pool Calculator - Chlorine/CYA Chart - Pool School

Secret Weapon for Pool Chemistry Testing

14. Back To Top    #14

I've got a Big Steel Keg (now called the broil king keg). It is an insulated steel version of the big green egg; a bit less expensive and a LOT lighter and less delicate. It cooks the same as an egg, and is worth looking at as well. Plus, it looks like a keg and not an avocado!
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden

15. Back To Top    #15

Check out Summerset Grills. We have one and love it.
    6,000 gal, IG free form,Beach Series Antigua by Marbletite Pebble finish,Sheer Descent, IG Fountain, Dolphin / Mermaid Statues,Dura- Glas 1.5hp pump,Hayward Pro-grid DE4820, Aqua Rite SWG with T-Cell 15,Heat Siphon Heat Pump DX 5.0 109,000 btu, Pool Cage, 1800sq ft Tremron Estate Pavers,Aquatherm Ecosun Solar Panels 192 sq ft with GL-235 Controller,Pentair IntelliBrite, Apollo Magnetic Stirrer Our New Poolbuild, Jacksonville, FL yr 2009 Solar install Outdoor kitchen upgrade

16. Back To Top    #16

In response to the original post, I'll throw in my $.02 on the Lynx grill. I bought a 27" Lynx grill several years ago at a lower cost than they are selling for these days but it was still close to $2000. After a few years, I had problems with the burners which have a lifetime warranty but I had to pay $30 (I think) shipping per burner to get the replacements. Also, the trays that the ceramic briquettes sit on rotted out and that cost me a another hundred dollars more to replace. I was never thrilled with the heat output of the burners and always wanted it to be hotter to properly sear steaks. The point when I decided that I really did not like the grill was when my parents bought a $300 Weber gas grill that totally outperformed my $2000 grill! Their Weber would be over 500 degrees withing minutes of lighting it and works great for searing steaks.

Please take this as an opinion and not fact about every Lynx grill. I could have gotten a bad one from the start. But, if I had to do it again, I would get one of the higher end Weber grills and still pay a lot less than the Lynx.
    Free-form concrete walls with vinyl liner, 18,000 gallon capacity, Jandy 1.5HP e-Pump, Jandy DEV48 DE filter (using cellulose media), Jandy AE2500 heat pump, Jandy Aqualink Power Center with 14-blade cell kit and Jandy PDA-P8 wireless control system.