Who has the oldest AGP here?

Glock

Jun 3, 2012
Mesquite, Texas
I have only been here a short time but I have seen some amazing pools.

I am in the process of getting my 2nd AGP and after looking at warranties I started wondering how long these things actually last. So, who here has the oldest above ground pool? Pics would be great too. Also, have you had any major issues with it? Brand? Year installed? I look forward to seeing what turns up. :-D

We purchased our AGP in early 2001...we've replaced the pump motor once, everything else is original BUT I think it's time for something new...I'm seeing rust on the sides around the skimmer area and I'm jealous of all the new pools on this forum :mrgreen: (j/k of course) Not sure of the brand....its been a good 'un though!

Actually, now that I think about it, the woman that owns the local ABG pool store (that sold me my pool) mentioned that she has had the same Doughboy for over 30 years. I think she even said it was the original liner.

I know many have bad experience with LPS, but this may be an exception. I went in to confirm my testing that I have a CYA of 15. The first words out of her daughter's words, while doing my water test, was that I should be glad it's low. She got the same results as I did on all my tests and asked if I wanted any CYA. We discussed that I am am currently using 3 quarts of 6% each day. After the discussion I decided I would add some to make the chlorine more stable. She sold me the correct amount to get me up to almost 30 and that that should be good.

She seemed very surprised all my other tests were perfect.

IMG_4939.JPG

My pool this morning, looking straight down the wall,complete with breeze ripples.!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
hope this works... I live in a rather 'remote' area of the Cascade Mtns. :wave:

[attachment=0:1m9mx983]Valley07.jpg[/attachment:1m9mx983][attachment=1:1m9mx983]poolside.jpg[/attachment:1m9mx983]

Attachments

• poolside.jpg
    poolside.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 438
  • Valley07.jpg
    Valley07.jpg
    227.3 KB · Views: 438
night swimming is limited to LUNAR lights. :)
Since we live below a snowcapped Mtn , evenings are rather cool here as the air comes off the Mtn at night. (60-75 max in summer)
Daytime temps are a different story 90-105 in summer. That is when I use the pool the most.

There is a solar panel on the south side ( out of sight) which heats during the day or can cool in the evening as required.
walls and bottom are insulated so I get a good 5-6 months swimming.
There is also a gas pump and 300ft of firehose on one side, so it is our 'fire tank' in case of forest fires.

Believe it or not we use it daily. It probably shouldn't be standing as we had not a clue on how to set it up, how to take care of it, etc.

We started with an Intex Easy Set (with the blow up ring) that was 18 feet by 48 inches. I learned by trial and error how to take care of it. We used it alot and the kids loved it. This pool was given to us and wished we could afford to have a "proper" pool.

My son-in-law had a friend that offered us this pool. We went and looked at it. It was set up and held water. We were totally clueless for the most part, except I knew I could take care of it if given a chance. The guy told us we would have to take it down to move it. He didn't have the top rails on it and had bungee cords wrapped around it. He had used it for 2 years this way with a set of fiberglass over wood stairs on the outside that came about half way up on the pool. His kids had to straddle the thing to get in and then lift themselves over by using their upper body strengths to get out. A deck was included but he had gotten pool second hand and he didn't put the deck up.

The friend took the pool down and we transported it home on a car trailer along with the deck. We hauled 7 ton of sand to put under it. I didn't do a google search on how to put one up, nor did we have any help/knowledge about how to install. We laid out the bottom rail/track, installed the sides, decided that the filter and pump should go on the "downside". We decided to order a new liner so it was a few days before we actually started the installation. After unloading the sand by hand and then hauling into the pool area we were tired, hot, and miserable. We got my husband, daughter, myself, my son-in-law and brother to help drape the liner over the sides and used clothes pin to hold it in place. We had gotten new coping so installed it, and then put the metal track on the top. We started filling it -- took three days running my water 24/7 (we have horrible water pressure). After it was filled. I started laying out the top rails and discovered they were all there (all though we were told they weren't and that is why he hadn't fooled with the top rails). I put them on and was only short two of the over caps or what ever the things are called that cover the "seams" in the top rails. We just left them off the long sides and you don't even notice that two are missing.

The pool is setting on a slight slope and the end with the pump and filter is 7 inches deeper than the opposite end. It has been that way since July 2007. We purchased a new filter (Hayward T180 filter) the first summer. I also purchased a regular above ground ladder from craigslist that first summer (we used the Intex ladder a couple of weeks). The next summer we purchased a Hayward 1.5 horsepower pump. I purchased a solar cover the second year (don't use it much as it is too heavy/awkard for me to take off when grandkids come and they are too little to help). I am not using a 2 horsepower pump but plan on changing it out for a smaller pump.

The pool is far from perfect and has many flaws to it. I have learned so much reading here on the forum. It almost makes me cringe when I see how our pool looks, but it gets the job done and we are making some changes as I learn. I appreciate everyone's wisdom and willingness to help those that are trying to learn.

Mine has seen 14 years. It has those interlocking aluminum slat walls, and even after all this time they are in perfect shape. No rust, no dents, nothing. The aluminum coping is in great shape as well.

I'm on the 2nd liner. The first died after 2 years when an exceptionally cold winter froze the pool completely to the bottom, blowing out the liner along the cove. Most of the AG pools around us bucked from the ice load, but this thing is a tank.

Ironically, it's the cedar rails on the deck that have aged the worst. The composite decking (barely visible in the picture is still in pretty good shape).

Attachments

• photo_1.JPG
    photo_1.JPG
    166.2 KB · Views: 325
We had our pool installed in June of 1976. It's still standing and I was in it today. Not the original liner or filter but, the 16'x32' oval structure is original. It's from Hub Pools, their Sun-Lite model with rolled aluminum wall. Very proud of it, money well spent.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.