Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pump Oversized / Filter Undersized?

1. Back To Top    #1

Pump Oversized / Filter Undersized?

I had my pool running for about five years, but took two seasons off because I was going through economic problems and couldn't afford a new liner at the time. I now put in the new liner, and had to replace the pump. Ended up getting a great deal on a Pentair Dynamo 2hp pump. NOW, the filter is dead too from hidden cracks. I just ordered a Hayward C1200 120sq. ft. cartridge filter. Is the pump going to be too much for it, is the filter not enough for it, or will I be okay? For reference, it is a 24' round above ground pool.

Thank you

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pump Oversized / Filter Undersized?

Welcome to TFP!

The pump needs to be sized to the pool, and the filter needs to be able to handle the pump output easily. Do you have a spa or water features? How big is the pool?
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

3. Back To Top    #3

24 round, and no features

4. Back To Top    #4

Re: Pump Oversized / Filter

Also, i am using one 1.5in outlet only (told 1.5in lowers GPH)

5. Back To Top    #5

Wow, you are for sure oversized on the pump. It would be to your benefit to go with a 1HP impeller on your pump if you can get one. It will save you on your electric bill and is suitably sized for your filter.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

6. Back To Top    #6

With the setup as is, will the filter run properly? I'd rather not spend even more, even if it does cut electric costs.

7. Back To Top    #7

Our recommendation for ~13500 gallon pool would be ~ 200 sq. ft. minimum cartridge filter, so yours is a bit small...just means you will have to clean it more often.

I am having a hard time finding a curve on you pump, but looking at the 1.5 hp version and making some guesses, it looks like it should work with your filter (filter speced design flow rate f >80 gpm), but smaller would still be better in this case.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.