A little bit murky

Jul 26, 2011
Tulsa, OK
I just fought off an algae problem (long story) and seem to be having trouble getting that sparkly clearness back.
Here are my readings:

FC - 17.5
CC - 0
PH - 7.4
TA - 100
CYA - 60
CH - 170

These readings have been consistent for about a week.

Here is a pic of the pool water:
img_0138.jpg

And my equipment:
img_0139.jpg

The TC is high because I’m coming off of the shock treatment. I change the filters daily and empty the strainer the same, as well as skimming with a net and vacuuming.

Shouldn’t the water more clear than that?

It is possible you have reached the limit of your filters?
Something like that would be my guess, too.

Intex Filters simply have no capacity. The only choice (short of buying a new filter and pump) is to run the pump 24/7 and keep changing the filters and I believe it will become more clear given enough time.

I am currently both pumps 24/7, and changing filters daily. I have also added ‘socks’ to the output to catch the finer particles.
I keep waiting for the water to clear, but it just doesn’t seem to be happening. That’s one of the reasons I am keeping the TC level over 16.

I bought my filters at Walmart but I don’t remember who made them. I don’t think it was Intex.
If I have reached the limit of my filters done that mean it’s as clear as it’s going to get?

I don’t understand what you said Techguy. Sorry.

Not sure which comment you are questioning.. but, yes, in some cases the Wal-Mart and Intex filters simply allow too much of very small particles to flow thru the filter. I am guessing here but I would think that these filters are effective on debris in the 10-20 micron range. A micron is a unit of length equal to one millionth (10-6) of a meter.

This means IF the stuff in your water is larger than 10 microns, the filter may be able to catch it and remove it from the pool. If the debris is smaller than 10 microns, say 5-9 microns, it will come into the filter, pass through the filter media, and flow right through and back into the pool... always. Better cartridges may be effective to 2-5 microns in size.

DE filters, so I have heard, can be effective down to 1 micron. This means they can trap all debris in the water that is larger than 1 micron in size.

I mentioned you can add Diatomaceous Earth (DE) or cellulose to the filter. What this does is that the larger DE and cellulose particles are trapped on the outside of the Intex filter media and they create a fine layer on the filter media, the DE layer on the Intex filter then acts as a filter itself and starts trapping particles from your pool's water. The problem is, the DE itself is blocking to flow of the water as it leave the pump and the pressure increases and the flow decreases. So, the filter works better but it slows the number of gallons that pump is able to pump. This means if the pump was capable of pumping 1600 gallons per hour at 0 pounds of pressure, this is decreased to 800 gallons per hour or less at 20 pounds. Cellulose is an alternative replacement for DE but it works in a similar way as DE. When you remove the DE and debris covered filter, you can wash off the junk (and DE) and use it again until the filter no longer filters effectively. If you re-install the filter you used with DE, you will need to add DE again to re-coat the filter.

Your water should be clear with those filters. Any particles smaller than 40 microns can not be seen. You have some other problem. I have run a 12' - 3' Intex pool with the small filter for two years and the water has allways been crystal clear. You can buy better filters from pleatco. Have you tried adding some clarifier. It will make the smaller particles stick together and be trapped by the filter.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.