Propane gauges?

Thanks all!

John, those stick on ones, I'm guessing they only show the level while you're using the tank, because it reads the temp of the tank, right?
Or when you pour warm water it'll show the level of a tank regardless?

Dan

Your best bet is to get cylinders with float level gauges built in. They're the most accurate. I've never had any luck with those pressure type gauges. They never let you know you're getting low until you're out and then it's too late.

Here's one place to get them.

DCAG said:
Thanks all!

John, those stick on ones, I'm guessing they only show the level while you're using the tank, because it reads the temp of the tank, right?
Or when you pour warm water it'll show the level of a tank regardless?

Dan

They'll show the level anytime your pour the water.

Bama Rambler said:
Your best bet is to get cylinders with float level gauges built in. They're the most accurate. I've never had any luck with those pressure type gauges. They never let you know you're getting low until you're out and then it's too late.

Here's one place to get them.

Bama, Thanks for the info & link on where to get tanks with the float gauge. My experience with the pressure gauges mirror yours. I'm a float gauge and scale guy myself when it comes to determining how much propane is in the tank.

BTW, for you tailgaters out there, here is a handy portable gauge calibrated specifically for standard 20 lb tanks (the most common size grill tank) http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200372613_200372613 This is a weight-based gauge - hook it on tank's fill collar and pick it up. Will tell you how much propane is in tank based on the weight. Have used this for years and it is extremely accurate, not to mention convenient. I'm thinking about getting a spare just in case it were to ever get misplaced.

I know this is only slightly related but I was doing some propane shopping recently and the subject of exchange propane tanks came up. I know the having my tanks filled is more cost effective but the exchanges are quick and easy... and a rip-off. When they started doing tank exchanges they were adding about 18 pounds of propane by weight. The difference is now the exchange bottles are filled to 15 pounds and are the same price or more. I have heard the tare weight of the bottle is not always taken into consideration but I doubt that.

Do your self a favor, get two bottles and have the rental yard or gas station fill them, but confirm they do not have either a flat-rate or $20 minimum charge per bottle.

techguy said:
I know this is only slightly related but I was doing some propane shopping recently and the subject of exchange propane tanks came up. I know the having my tanks filled is more cost effective but the exchanges are quick and easy... and a rip-off. When they started doing tank exchanges they were adding about 18 pounds of propane by weight. The difference is now the exchange bottles are filled to 15 pounds and are the same price or more. I have heard the tare weight of the bottle is not always taken into consideration but I doubt that.

Do your self a favor, get two bottles and have the rental yard or gas station fill them, but confirm they do not have either a flat-rate or $20 minimum charge per bottle.
Amen,,I stopped getting the tank exchange because you don't get has much gas..Just started filling them up myself..Has far has the gauges.Had one inline for about a yr.Using grill one evening&showing out of gas&was acting like it was out of gas..So unhook'd the gauge & stiil had plenty left..Don't know what was wrong..But, they are nice to have when they work.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
techguy said:

That's what I used to do. A couple of seasons ago, I found a coupon to have a tank filled for $10. So we went to that place, and had the tank filled. I think that tank lasted two grilling sessions. I wasn't happy, and haven't gone back there. Now, I usually exchange my tanks at Walmart for $20.

I still haven't bought gauge. :) :hammer:

DCAG said:
techguy said:

That's what I used to do. A couple of seasons ago, I found a coupon to have a tank filled for $10. So we went to that place, and had the tank filled. I think that tank lasted two grilling sessions. I wasn't happy, and haven't gone back there. Now, I usually exchange my tanks at Walmart for $20.

I still haven't bought gauge. :) :hammer:
Exchange at wally world&other exchange you are not getting full amount of gas than taking to somewhere&having filled on the spot..So it is costing more money

I have one of the gauges on my tank. I agree it's not accurate, but I've learned to use it. Basically, I take a look at where it sits when the tank is full... once the needle starts to drop, it's time to get the spare filled up.

I've been swapping bottles up til now. I finally found a re-fill place close enough to the house that it is just as quick to get it filled.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.