Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Filter Fiber Additive for Sand Filters

1. Back To Top    #1

Filter Fiber Additive for Sand Filters

I have a known problem with a lot of iron in my well water. I was talking to Jack's Magic tech support this morning about chemistry levels and one thing he suggested was adding something called filter fiber. This will top dress the sand in the filter and decreases the micron size so that the filter is better able to catch the sequestered? sequested? solids after the sequestering agent has done its job. Is this a good idea? Does it stay in after I backflush or would I have to add more each time I backflush?
    27' Round Might Sun AG Pool 18000 Gallon Intex Krystal Clear SWG Hayward Pump/Filter on a Timer

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Filter Fiber Additive for Sand Filters

We use DE and it works. It comes out when you backflush. The instructions on how to add it are in pool school. I wouldn't think that either one would do anything to remove iron from your water though.
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

By itself it won't remove the iron. The sequestrant binds to the iron and makes the particles larger so they can be filtered out of the water. The filter fiber increases the efficiency of this. Do you use a DE filter and filter fiber or do you use DE in a sand filter? I assume the latter, a quick check at Pool School gives instructions on using DE in a sand filter.
    27' Round Might Sun AG Pool 18000 Gallon Intex Krystal Clear SWG Hayward Pump/Filter on a Timer

4. Back To Top    #4

I believe you need a sequester for metals in water. But once you use then you need to keep using them. Synthetic DE i believe is the same as filter fiber, works, but needs to be replenished after a back wash.
    pool-school/metal%20stains
    17K Kidney Shaped Pool Concrete (Diamond Bright) Pool, 3/4 hp 2 speed 115V Sta-rite Duraglas PEA5D-180L/P2R5D-181L (Impeller C105-92PS Diffuser C1-216P), 1.5 piping, Pentair CC100 Filter , Heat Siphon 100K BTU Heat Pump Pool Heater, Flow meter Blue White Flowmeter Model No. F-30150P, Hayward Astrolight SP0581N, SWCG CalimarTitanium Edition TE45 , Dolphin Nautilus Plus with CleverClean, Lakeland Florida

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

The sequestrant binds to the iron and makes the particles larger so they can be filtered out of the water.
    Somewhat the opposite. Sequestrants prevent the metals from precipitating out into visible form but the iron will stay in your water in soluble form. They will not remove ANY iron from your water....only sequester it
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

Every now and then the sequestrant combined with iron will clump and get filtered out, but that isn't all that common.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

7. Back To Top    #7

Ok. Tech support at Jack's Magic suggested the filter additive to catch the sequestered iron. It sounds like the additive is a good idea but that it won't do much for the sequestered solids.