Pool HELP!!

zaf88

Jun 21, 2012
Philadelphia PA
My folks have an inground pool (i think its under 20k). They are sick of the chlorine so their pool guy installed a salt system but still the chlorine bothers them as they are sensitive to it. I know of inoziers and ozonators that require a fraction of the amount of chlorine (according to their brochures). I have tried in vein to search on the site for the answers but the only response i seem to get is that ozone is overkill. These guys are willing to spend the money to reduce or eliminate chlorine. What do you guys recommend??

Sounds like to me they have CC in their pool. A properly chlorinated pool does not smell of bleach, and should not burn eyes. Can you post a full set of pool chemistry results?

A salt pool only has to be kept at 3ppm. That's less than what's allowed in tap water.

Had a neighbor in my pool a few days ago for the first time. She said, unprovoked, "Wow this is really clean. It doesn't smell like a pool at all, it just smells like water! How do you keep it so clean?"

My wife rolled her eyes and said "I'm not sure you want to get him started...." :rockon:

Chlorine, used properly, is all you need. If you want to do the work, there are a lot of people here that would love to help you.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I am new here, but I have learned quite a bit.

I will say, my pool water is awesome. My oldest daughter, who complains about chlorine, has no problems in my pool.

You get the water chemistry correct with a good test kit, stay on top of it, and mainly add chlorine (AKA bleach) and your parents will be fine.

Adding all the *Crud* that pool companies sell you (or pool service companies add) is what causes the smells and burning.

Maintaining my pool chemistry takes me about 10 minutes a day. I test in the AM, test again in the PM (2x a day is overkill but I do it anyway) and then add bleach as required in the PM - about 40 to 60oz per day on average.

My chlorine level is between 5.0 and 7.0 parts mer million - and nobody complains because there is no Combine Chlorine.

The sad fact is that even if they get an ozonator or other device, letting somone take care of their pool, whos' profit is predicated on how much stuff they can sell them, is going to cause problems.

A SWG will allow lower FC levels if they want to go that route, but again, if they let in a service, who knows what they will do.

-dave

That's exactly how a salt water pool should be, once a week checking should be fine. But if he's letting the FC level get low due to the SWCG not being set properly, or due to improper CYA level, then algae is going to form and create CCs in the pool. If CCs are in the pool, the pool is going to smell of chlorine and cause burning eyes.

Like I said, 3ppm is LESS than what is allowed in plain tap water. If they can shower without burning eyes, they should be able to use their pool without burning eyes.

http://water.epa.gov/drink/contaminants ... ctants.cfm

I hate making blanket statements, mostly because we have some really good, quality, trustworthy, knowledgable pool service people here. But I know there are plenty of lazy, ignorant ones out there, as I've seen how some of my friends' pools are maintained. One friend has a pool guy that stops by once a week, throws a trichlor tablet in a skimmer, then leaves. Well, that's not completely true, he told him once he needed all new grids for his DE filter, put them in, charged him, then when I looked at them there was nothing wrong with the original ones at all.

Their pool guy has the easiest of the easy, a salt water pool. Pretty much all he has to do is check the chems (pH can climb on those systems, FC consumption changes throughout the year, CYA needs to be correct to hold FC), sweep the pool, check the filter pressures, then go. I will tell you I have yet to see the pool guy check the chemical levels on any of my friends' pools. It is impossible to keep a pool properly maintained without knowing what is in it and how it's reacting.

Even if they were to go to a non-chlorine system, if it's not properly maintained it's going to have trouble, and will end up causing the same issues they are complaining about now. In fact, from what I've read here, those systems are even more prone to going out of balance than a properly balanced salt water pool.

First step is a good test kit. It sounds like their water is all messed up. With the correct ph (gets rid or burning eyes) and keeping the CC's at zero (gets rid of smell and skin issues) chlorine works the best by far. Having a SWG as they do, will make maintaining the pool a snap. We're more than willing to help, but the first three steps are on you.

1. Read pool school
2. Order a good test kit
3. Post test results

My Inlaws used baquacil to stay away from the evil chlorine as my sister-in-law was "allergic" to chlorine. We switched to the BBB system last year (which a SWG fits into nicely). Needless to say, yesterday she spent all day in the pool with zero issues to her skin.

ok let me tell them. they have a salt water generator now and still have the problem bc i guess the guy doesnt know wtf he is doing. thanks for the replies

the confusing part is that most of the posts i read about ozone were its overkill not that it doesnt work. other posts say it doesnt work on outdoor pools for some reason that i could not find. so i am a little confused about it all.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.