Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Obsession with water delivery for slide!

1. Back To Top    #1

Obsession with water delivery for slide!

I tend to over-engineer things. Badly.

Just finished refinishing a pool slide. Has standard option for water delivery with a garden hose. I've been using it for a few days now, and it's becoming inconvenient, IMO. I don't have a return stubbed for a slide, either.

My new idea is to get a 1.5" male end PVC plug. Drill and tap for the ice maker line fitting, and put it in the plug. Drill possibly another 1-2 holes in the plug to allow for pressure reduction, and return to pool.

I have 2 return valves....1 controls the returns on the step, 1 controls the returns at the other end. Will I cause any damage by increasing pressure in just one return? I'm assuming that the resulting backpressure will just be transferred to the other return.

Again, I would no doubt drill a couple more holes in this plug to allow for a pressure drop to help compensate.

Let me know your thoughts.
    Kansas City, MO
    13500 gallon Foxx vinyl sport pool--inground (1988)
    Cristal-Flo sand filter
    Ray-Pak 406A digital
    1.5 HP single speed
    400 gallon Heldor inground spa, octagon

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Obsession with water delivery for slide!

It won't hurt anything to increase the pressure to the returns. Your pump won't create enough pressure to damage anything.

Where are you going to put the modified plug? In an existing return?
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Obsession with water delivery for slide!

Yep. Closest return to the slide. I know there are some downsides to this setup. No directional flow for return to the pool, junk settling in that corner, and would end up being some cold spots over there. I suppose I will have heated water coming down the slide, though.

I'll give it a shot and see what happens.
    Kansas City, MO
    13500 gallon Foxx vinyl sport pool--inground (1988)
    Cristal-Flo sand filter
    Ray-Pak 406A digital
    1.5 HP single speed
    400 gallon Heldor inground spa, octagon