water is crystal clear, but algae continues to form on walls

May 17, 2011
Montgomery, TX
pool is a year old, inground gunite with white quartz finish. seems i have to brush about every other day to keep the light green algae off the walls, especially in shaded areas. it comes off fairly easy. water temp has been around 90. always keep my chemicals around 3-4 chlorine, ph 7.5ish, ta 80.

is it somewhat normal for algae to grow on walls in the summer? thanks

Re: water is crystal clear, but algae continues to form on w

Do you have a salt water generator?

No algae is ever normal. How often do you fully brush the pool, walls and all? Also, at 60 cya your FC is a bit low. It maybe worth your time to boost it up some. I'd go 5fc at the lowest.

Your CYA should be around 40 for a normal pool, 70-80 for a salt water pool chlorinated by a salt water chlorine generator. The range for chlorine (FC) for a CYA of 60 is 5-9, which means you've been holding your FC too low. You almost certainly have to shock the pool at this point. Please note that shocking is a process, not a one-time addition of something you buy from the pool store.

Leebo said:
Do you have a salt water generator?

No algae is ever normal. How often do you fully brush the pool, walls and all? Also, at 60 cya your FC is a bit low. It maybe worth your time to boost it up some. I'd go 5fc at the lowest.

no, no swg. i really think if i had a slightly darker finish i would not be able to see it at all. water is clear, and it does not form on floor, just the walls especially in shaded areas. guess i'll shock it good and see if that helps.

On a few family pools we solved this issue by running pump longer, in some instances 24 hrs, brushing daily and maintaining free chlorine high until walls clear

Having swcg helps as it allows temporary elevation of performance and variable speed motor allows long runtime at low expense

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.