Acid and Calcium Chloride

Jun 20, 2012
OK, my first post.
I have my kid's bike helmet on as I expect to be beat up a bit for my choices. I can take it. Here goes:...

My pool is 32,400 gallons; it was built in October of 2006. It is in Alabama.
It has an ionization system. My pool contractor is a great guy with a great reputation. My initial advice from him was to keep the ION at .3, but also to add 6 oz. each of clarifier and algaecide per week plus one 3" tab in the skimmer and one gallon of bleach per week. Until this year, we have had no troubles with our pool other than finding time to enjoy it. I have never even had to test my water. I have a polaris pool robot thingy and my wife likes to run him 3-4 times per week for 12 hours each.

This year the pool has never completely cleared up. I paid the pool contractor to open as usual. I have had an annoying green tint in the deep end and some brown patches on the wall that easily brush off, but return.

My wife has been frustrated and finally fussed to the point of my having to do something. I read most of the pool school and re-read all my pool documentation. I purchased a test kit from my contractor.

My pH is between 7.6-7.7; my ALK is 110; my CH is 80 and my ION is 0.14. This is all the kit tests for.

I called Carefree Clearwater and talked to the chemist there. He fussed at me for using maintenance chemicals other than the ion system. He explained a lot about the system also.

It appears I will be adding muriatic acid and calcium chloride to the pool. How long do I wait before getting into the pool after adding these chemicals?

Hello and welcome to Trouble Free Pool!

No, we won't beat you up too bad. We here at Trouble Free Pool are experts at maintaining our pools with minimal effort using only a handful of chemicals that you can buy mostly at the grocery store. Unfortunately we are not experts or do not offer support if you use unique systems such as the one you are using (Ion). We will be more than happy to get your pool in great shape but you will have to abandon the system you are using which you may not be willing to do.

To your direct question about adding acid and calcium chloride. Adding either one in your pool with the size of it will only require 30 minutes to an hour for the acid to mix in before you swim, to be safe.

If you are getting algae, there is no sanitizer in the water and it is not safe to swim. Most likely this is happening because your CYA level is too high, but without a complete set of test results it is impossible to tell.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.