Install Day 1... to be continued...

You can always keep the solar cover on overnight. If you take it off during full sun and covered all night it will retain the most heat. (assuming that there is minimal wind) - Most nights in the 60s I keep mine covered. I usually don't bother taking it off unless I'm using the pool or it's warm enough to recover from the drop by mid morning. But I always make sure to keep it uncovered as much as possible on the weekends if it was covered many or all weekdays.

As long as they don't mind the cold water, there is nothing stopping them once it's filled.

Our installer did his jobs in order (finished one before moving on to the next). He was 2-3 weeks behind at the beginning of summer (had a bunch of rain and he got backed up).

Solar cover will go on asap -- wonder if I can put it on top of the water as it fills :D

Ok, I have a question... was talking things over tonight with hubby. Installer and I discussed the 'Happy Bottom' today. I told him why I'd picked Gorilla pad (one piece construction) and that I was sorry about the pain of taping the Happy Bottom they subbed because of the new pool. His comment was "oh, they tell us not to tape them" ---- Yikes! Yes, I'm that person who has read the manufacturer install directions for the product.... has anyone heard of it being done 'untaped' or does it sound bogus? I believe a phone call to the sales guy will be in order tomorrow. Oy!

The first 4 steps in the mfg's instructions are about taping it together. The only two items listed as required are a knife and the tape.

I'd say it's very important. I'd not only call the sales guy but if he doesn't get it resolved, I'd call the mfg. If they say it's required I'd print out the instructions and tell them you spoke to the mfg and that they have to tape it.

I can see the seams separating and leaving creases in the bottom if you don't tape them together.

BethyM said:
Solar cover will go on asap -- wonder if I can put it on top of the water as it fills :D
That would make it harder to see when it's done filling, but as long as you're watching it, I don't see why not. It will also keep your chlorine from being consumed as quickly by the sun :)

I don't really have a problem with ours not having a pad, but doing it over I'm sure it would be better with one. I don't see why they wouldn't respect your wishes. You are paying them to perform a service, it should be done how you want it. Definitely get your sales guy involved. It's their job to make you happy!

Depending on how often you will be able to put in some liquid chlorine, you could always put in a cup every few hours during the day.

Circulation would likely be cut down a bit, but you can run the pump on high with the solar cover on. As long as the edge of it isn't too close to the return and water starts flooding it. My new cover is slightly bigger than the pool by about 6" or so and it can be curled upwards by the return if I was afraid of it starting to get flooded. Honestly though, unless it's blowing all the water on the cover it shouldn't be a problem.

When I mentioned in a PM that you could use tabs for the first few days before your stabilizer has dissolved, that might work better without the cover. If it's covered I don't see why not just use liquid, it's much more precise. And you can practice testing :) Also, the water will be plenty cold, so for the first few days you might as well let it gain a small amount of heat. Since they're giving you algaecide there isn't really a reason not to use it (just this once) - follow the directions for the initial dose and most likely before a week has passed you will have your CYA and FC levels where they should be.

If it was me, I would probably cover it and add a cup of liquid chlorine a few times per day while the stabilizer is dissolving. Probably starting at a target of 1-2ppm the first day and ending up with the proper amount per your CYA on day..3 or 4. Gradually adding more FC every day as the CYA goes up (while also maintaining the amount used up).

Here is what my plan would be (for starting up):

Target 40 ppm CYA, FC target would be 5 (assuming heavy usage and plenty of sun I would anticipate 4-5ppm/day, but testing will allow you to develop a good understanding of what your pool needs)
-pool calc shows 113 oz of stabilizer required to reach 40 ppm. Which would be around 7 lbs. I believe your kit comes with a 4.5lb or 5lb jug of stabilizer.

Day 1 - fill a sock with stabilizer and tie it with string (to the railing) hanging it directly in front of the return - I'm guessing a 5lb jug would fill many socks. I'm thinking you would probably hang 2 or 3. Others will likely have a good opinion on the best way to do this. Pool calc shows 44 oz of 6% needed to hit 1ppm with 0 CYA. Which will probably last you hours at best with the cover on. (FC goal 1-2ppm)

So adding it a few times per day would be good. I would try to get in 4 doses on day 1.

Day 2 - As the CYA is dissolving, doubling your FC dosing every day would probably work well. Day 2 add 88 oz of 6%, but only add it half as much, 1 or 2 times. (FC goal 2-3ppm)

Day 3 - Add 176 oz of 6% once or twice. (FC goal 3-4ppm)

Day 4 - Add 88oz of 6% (FC goal 4-5ppm)

Day 5 - If CYA was completed dissolved and you're done adding it by day 3, now much be a good time for your first CYA test

of course this would just be a guideline to use and your test will give you the real consumption and the dosage needed can be calculated. PM me if you want a walk through or even post another thread about starting up. (of course there are plenty of write ups that can be searched for too)

Always remember that nothing has to be super precise. If you need 44oz and think you've added 60, don't worry about it. I use a 64oz plastic cup to measure my chlorine and test a few times a week to make sure my guesstimates are accurate.

Speedo, that's a great walk through! You rock... I assume you used my insane new pool size for the calcs :)

Today is not a total non-work day. The electrician is here. He dug ditch and is returning the equipment before coming back to wire. He was also kind enough to spend 20 using his ditch witch to break up the sod clumps in my dirt mountain. (Not for free, of course, but the rig was here and I think I looked sad with a pick axe!)

I also dug through the boxes. I found the perfect bottom directions and by golly, they don't say tape. This is a pre cut to the size product and the pieces overlap 2 inches. So, its good to know installer wasn't just cutting corners but following directions. Might have bought it in the first place if I knew it didn't need tape.

So, today is electric and I'm working on cleaning up yard. No reason to leave clumps on good grass to kill it. Will help pass time so I can enjoy pool without feeling guilty about ground work.

BethyM said:
Speedo, that's a great walk through! You rock... I assume you used my insane new pool size for the calcs :)

Today is not a total non-work day. The electrician is here. He dug ditch and is returning the equipment before coming back to wire. He was also kind enough to spend 20 using his ditch witch to break up the sod clumps in my dirt mountain. (Not for free, of course, but the rig was here and I think I looked sad with a pick axe!)

I also dug through the boxes. I found the perfect bottom directions and by golly, they don't say tape. This is a pre cut to the size product and the pieces overlap 2 inches. So, its good to know installer wasn't just cutting corners but following directions. Might have bought it in the first place if I knew it didn't need tape.

So, today is electric and I'm working on cleaning up yard. No reason to leave clumps on good grass to kill it. Will help pass time so I can enjoy pool without feeling guilty about ground work.
Yep, I believe it is 21200 gallons. On the pool calc at the bottom put in 30' x 4' deep. There are a few benefits to having time before it's finished. Our yard still isn't how it should be after 2 full years.

linen said:
DCAG said:
Will you be filling your pool with a hose? If so, I would try to attach a sock with stabilizer on the end of the hose... somehow.

Dan
I have not heard of this method, what is it's purpose?
I haven't heard of doing that either, but I see where He's going. Same principle as putting the sock over the return. As long as the hose can be tied to the rail in order to keep it off the liner, starting the stabilizer sock that way would probably be a good idea. Anything to save time :)

EDIT: I actually have an idea for this! Using 6 or more pieces of string you could tie one in to a loop and tie another around the hose with 4+ untied pieces going through the loop on the hose. Then tie all the loose pieces together after putting them through the second loop. Of course the sock would be in between the two loops and the 4+ pieces would essentially also be loops. I could draw something fancy in paint if the details don't make sense.

Seems to me like DCAG was talking about having the fill water flow through the sock and the cya? I would not do it that way since I seems you would probably the whole mess of solid cya into the pool quickly and sitting on the liner...not good.

I am not sure I understand speedo approach, but if he is suggesting that the cya would be in a sock and the fill fluid would just be buffering the sock to slowly encourage the cya into the pool...I would think that could work. Seems just like hanging the sock in front of a pool return.

When we filled our pool (seasonal), I tied it to the ladder where it can't sit on the liner. We have to fill our pool slowly and this helped get it in there versus waiting multiple days for the water level to get high enough to run the pump. I'd just give it a squeeze occasionally. Repositioned it up higher as the water level rose.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Speedo, my brain does not compute :) I gather its OK for the cya to get some water flow but that I would necessarily fill a sock with cya and stick the hose in it because that would result in too high of a concentration. I can definitely do sock on a ladder.

When you talk about "day 1" for dosing... is that day 1 of a full pool or day 1 while filling?

Oh, and how do you guys hold your steps down? I saw the plastic bags that came with them. I don't want them moving and damaging the liner. Wondering about filling an empty bleach container with sand (or more) and using that? That is, if I can find any empty bleach containers :D. I have a feeling I may start dreaming of bleach!

Re: Install Day 2!!

Walls are up, sand is being compacted... I think we'll have a Pool today!

Attachments

• 2012-06-24 09.22.13.jpg
    2012-06-24 09.22.13.jpg
    154.3 KB · Views: 104
  • 2012-06-22 19.25.39.jpg
    2012-06-22 19.25.39.jpg
    150.7 KB · Views: 104
Kids think they ought to get to eat so had to throw some milk in there too! I was in line behind some people buying a quick set and I wanted to tell them all about TFP! I did get some looks :)

We're getting there!!

Attachments

• 2012-06-24 10.28.16.jpg
    2012-06-24 10.28.16.jpg
    157.1 KB · Views: 100
Been filling since noon -- we're 2/3 of the way there. Far enough, that we'll turn the water off before bed so we don't get a surprise in the morning!

Moved the rest of the dirt around today... I can start figuring out what to do with my landscape bricks and rock tomorrow. Ladder is ready to go in once the solar cover comes off. Might let kids get in tomorrow afternoon :)

I haven't added anything to it yet... they put the solar on as it filled and I couldn't figure a way to get something in there that wasn't too concentrated. Can I go out and put a few tablets in the floater overnight just to get some CYA to start dissolving? I'm going to get a sock in there by the return tomorrow, but can't run it yet and no ladder to tie it to.

I'm excited and looking forward to the rewards of a Trouble Free Pool!! :)

Attachments

• 2012-06-24 11.44.20.jpg
    2012-06-24 11.44.20.jpg
    174.4 KB · Views: 85
It's Mystri Gold :) I was pretty neutral about it on the showroom floor but I am LOVING it out in the yard... Maybe I'm just loving that it looks so much better than the giant sandbox we had all weekend :) I just turned the water back on, I think we have about 18 inches to go! Can't wait to get the filter running!

Attachments

• 20120625_055903.jpg
    20120625_055903.jpg
    179.6 KB · Views: 72
  • 20120625_055751.jpg
    20120625_055751.jpg
    183 KB · Views: 72
Sorry I was offline this weekend :p

Saturday's weather sucked, but we got in anyway and Sunday was miserable until about 2:30 and then it was perfect!

Honestly - I was meaning Day 1 as a full pool. The CYA could wait until the pool is full and being circulated. I don't see any reason why not to swim as soon as it's full and warm enough.

Most people follow instructions and don't test when they're getting started, you're so far ahead that loosely following these suggestions and testing to be more accurate should keep your water in line :)

How are things going today? If you want to post daily pic updates and test results I'm sure you will get plenty of opinions!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.