Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Spotty plaster job

1. Back To Top    #1

Spotty plaster job

We recently had a pool remodel with new piping, plaster, coping, equipment, The whole package. Our contractor told us to brush the pool, but did not tell us it needs to be done every day or even every two days. Now, two weeks in, the plaster doesn't look consistent. There is variation in color (it's a white pool), and it just doesn't look right. The plaster guy says that it is supposed to be like that, so i wanted to get a little feedback

Thanks,
    25,000 Gallons
    IDK the filter
    IG
    Plaster
    IDK pump size
    updated in 5/1/12

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Spotty plaster job

Welcome to TFP.

How often did you brush the pool?
    Some variation os normal. Maybe if you post a pic of it we can tell if yours is normal.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

The finish will take a few (3-4) weeks to cure. During that time you will notice quite a bit of variation in the finish. Even when fully cured, the pool with have some variations. Your should be brushing 2-4 times per day during the curing period. Keep an eye on your water balance, as the new finish is going to drive the PH up quite a bit. You should also be running your pump 24 hours per day for the first few weeks.
    19204 Gallon L Shape with a 10X10 2nd Step Baja Ledge. Intellichlor IC-40, IntellipH, Cartridge Filter, Pentair Heater/Chiller (Heat Pump). Tons of Deck with Deck Jets. Construction Complete 6/5/17.

"If you don't measure it, you can't manage it!"

4. Back To Top    #4

Here are so photos
    Attached Images Attached Images
    25,000 Gallons
    IDK the filter
    IG
    Plaster
    IDK pump size
    updated in 5/1/12

5. Back To Top    #5

It looks like there is quartz in the plaster. That is a good thing. The water looks blue so that supports the presence of quartz. To even out the finish some do an acid wash before filling or even add acid after filling to remove the thin creme layer from troweling. Some would say you can do it now to make it more consistent. I just had mine re-plastered on the 1st and didn't do anything with acid. Too many negative comments about it.

I brushed mine 2x a day for the first week, 1x a day after and even now until I reach 30 days. It seems to look better all the time. I test the water constantly. The first 30 days is crucial. The NPC start up card is good info. http://www.npconline.org/index.php?opti ... icle&id=85
    13,500 gallon IG Diamond Brite Super Blue, Pentair Superflo 1.5 HP 2 speed pump, 300 lb Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward Swim Pure+ SWG, Four 4X20 Fafco Solar Bears, Jandy Lite2 NG Heater, Borates, Blue Diamond Robot, TF100 & Refills, Taylor SpeedStir

6. Back To Top    #6

What negative comments are you referring to?
    25,000 Gallons
    IDK the filter
    IG
    Plaster
    IDK pump size
    updated in 5/1/12

7. Back To Top    #7

...I've never heard any. It's almost universally used, for good reason.
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden

8. Back To Top    #8

Before our re-plaster I did a good bit of reading on which start up method to use since the pool builder wasn't going to do anything. I searched the forum with the terms acid wash, new plaster, etc and found several people who said it is harsh, that it etched the surface, and reduced the life of the plaster. None of that sounded good to me. An in-pool acid wash did seem to be less harsh.

I think of it as if I got a new car and it had some light scratches/swirl marks in the clear coat in some areas. They sell polishing compound that has fine sand that will take down a very thin amount of the clear coat so that the swirl marks are evened out. It is safe, it works, and it will probably make it look great. But I wouldn't do it on the whole car. In my opinion it is a decision between aesthetics vs longevity.

I also called SGM, as we were going to use their Diamond Brite Quartz, and asked the rep which start up they recommend. He said acid wash but I still couldn't get over the negatives. If I bought a house that had a pool that was old and poorly taken care of then I would acid wash the dog out of it. My personal choice was to not do it on the new plaster. I say brush it daily, test the water very often and see what it looks like in a few more weeks. It changes.

Here is one discussion concerning the negatives. still-unable-to-get-rid-of-some-white-spots-on-diamond-brite-t40526.html
    13,500 gallon IG Diamond Brite Super Blue, Pentair Superflo 1.5 HP 2 speed pump, 300 lb Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward Swim Pure+ SWG, Four 4X20 Fafco Solar Bears, Jandy Lite2 NG Heater, Borates, Blue Diamond Robot, TF100 & Refills, Taylor SpeedStir

9. Back To Top    #9

I just re-read my first reply where I said I didn't do anything with acid. I did actually add acid but only to lower the Ph.

10. Back To Top    #10

Ok, well do you think the plaster is ruined? It was brushed the day after we filled it, but then it was not brushed for 7 days straight. Our contracted never mentioned that I needed to be brushed until after 7 days.
    25,000 Gallons
    IDK the filter
    IG
    Plaster
    IDK pump size
    updated in 5/1/12

11. Back To Top    #11

I wouldn't say it's ruined. Not at all. Streaking and spots like that don't affect the integrity of the plaster job. Bruhing and time will make a big difference. Watch the Ph too.

12. Back To Top    #12

Based on the top photo, the color contrast looks fairly normal for new plaster. Can't tell on the second photo. And it doesn't look like you have a quartz finish.
    Typical plaster never looks like a single color as in painting a wall.
    If the plaster is smooth, give it a couple of months to see if the color contrast gets worse or better. And don't do an acid bath.