Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Replacing a broken Hayward-Perflex EC40

1. Back To Top    #1

Replacing a broken Hayward-Perflex EC40

Pool is a 15' round above ground. Went to set up the pool last week and found that somehow over the winter the outside of the filter had cracked significantly. Hoping to replace it on the cheap.

Here are two images, one from the current pump and one from the current filter. I'm hoping I can find something on Craigslist just to get through this summer, but not sure what to look for. I'd love to switch to a cartridge style, but my question is what should I be looking for in a new filter? Will anything marry to my current pump? Of all the numbers on the filter decal, which should I focus on for this new filter?

Thanks!
    18' round above ground, vinyl liner, 48" deep (flat), Confer Step1 steps. Approximately 7600 gallons. Waterways/Proline FC075 cartridge filter. 75GPM (71 minute complete cycle), 75 sq ft filtration area.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Replacing a broken Hayward-Perflex EC40

You will want something with an equal or larger effective filtration area. If you were having to back wash the old filter frequently, then you will want a larger filtering capacity to replace it.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

So of all the numbers on the filter decal, I just need to make sure whatever I'm replacing it with is larger than 19 square feet of effective filtering area? None of the other numbers matter?

When we talk about swapping out filters, will I have any issues with my current pump? Or do they all mostly work together?
    18' round above ground, vinyl liner, 48" deep (flat), Confer Step1 steps. Approximately 7600 gallons. Waterways/Proline FC075 cartridge filter. 75GPM (71 minute complete cycle), 75 sq ft filtration area.

4. Back To Top    #4

For DE, I would suggest about 36 or 48 square feet. For cartridge, I would suggest about 120 to 175 square feet.

http://www.hayward-pool.com/ctg/In-Grou ... 5516_I.htm

5. Back To Top    #5

You have a 1 hp pump which should be sufficient for most residential filters. You just don't want a filter that is too small for your pump, but that shouldn't be a problem. I haven't seen much out there that is smaller than 19 square feet! If you have standard 1 1/2" plumbing on the pool you should have no problem connecting the new filter.

The flow rate was for sizing that filter to a pump. You wouldn't want to run a filter is a max flow rate of 38 gpm with a pump that puts out 50 gpm.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

6. Back To Top    #6

The sizing on the Hayward Perflex "bump style" filters is much smaller than what you would want on a comparable conventional filter.

Ike
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~