Dug up Tiger Flex with Bob Cat skid steer

Nodnarb

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 25, 2011
My IG pool was put in last year, but now I am putting in a patio.

While I knew generally where my tiger flex pvc pool lines were, I made the mistake of going too far and I snagged one when doing the patio excavation today (and of course it was the last scoop before I was done with excavation).

My subconscoius is supressing this memory and it is hard for me to say exactly how far in the air it got, but I would say at least a foot and not likely more than two.

While the line was on a tooth for less than five seconds, it did not puncture it and for as much as I can tell there is no visible damage to the tiger flex pvc. As far as I can tell, the flex pvc is under the concrete or at least that it enters the concrete wrap in the dirt/aggregate that seats the concrete wrap.

But I have some concern that the tug pulled either on the filter or the attachments to the pool. Where this happened is about a foot away from where the concrete starts. There is at least four or more feet of concrete before the steps and return. The filter is about twenty feet away and the line prior to today was under 6-12 inches of soil.

My secondary concern is that while this was a short but brute tug that I have weakened the tiger flex pvc (i.e. pinholes, freeze thaw, etc).

If you see in the photo, the soil around this pulled up line and a section that was not pulled up in the mistake appeared dark. I would not call it moist, but I would not call it wet either. When this happened at 4PM today when it was 94 degrees I didn't notice this but did when I came back to check it a few hours later. Oh, the white part that appers clean is exactly that, I cleaned it to see if I could detect any issues with the tiger flex pvc.

I've run the pool filter for about 5+ hours now and the filter is at the DE expected psi pool water level appears to be at the same level. So if there is an immediate problem it is a small problem at the moment. The jets appear to be kicking and the return appears to be sucking. Is there a stress or other test I can run on the filter or other parts of the pool?

I have no idea if this was my return or my feed to the jets.

If other things matter, the flex line appeared to have been buried less than a foot at least at the part I got it. It was also 94 degrees today in Western Pennsylvania and my pool water was at least 88 on its own prior to today. Other if it matters is that from the one photo I have during the pool build about the flex lines go about 2-4 feet under the concreate and then do a near 90 down into the depths of the pool aggreate (rounded rock) that surrounds the pool as backfill.

Attachments

• tigerbobcat2.jpg
    tigerbobcat2.jpg
    122.7 KB · Views: 174
Might consider very carefully hand digging back toward the darker section a little and checking to make sure you didn't kink, break, or pull the line apart under the harder packed dirt.

I have no experience with that type of line so can't say for sure how tough, flexable or expandable it is, but you may have gotten lucky.

Some of the more experienced will chime in I am sure.

Consider a pressure test. With either water pressure or low -30lbs air. You might be able to borrow the necessary equipment from your local pool supply business. I made my own.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

And what is involved with doing a pressure check?
I have one return and four jets (2 deep, 2 on steps)

The flex PVC is connected to rigid PVC at the pool equipment.
Is this going to be a matter of someone (pool company or else) disconnecting something?

Attachments

• equip.jpg
    equip.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 119
Nodnarb said:
And what is involved with doing a pressure check?...
...Is this going to be a matter of someone (pool company or else) disconnecting something?

I use air to pressure test a line. It is simply a matter of isolating a line, plugging one end, and attaching a regulated air source to the other. The air source device will allow you to close the line with a gauge on the downstream side of the shut off valve.

Some people use a water hose instead of air. In either case, you watch the gauge for a pressure drop. You should hold 30lbs indefinitely. If it drops, you know that you have a leak.

You can often disconnect your return line at the sand filter. If I have to cut a line to make a test, I simply glue in a PVC union to make it easier next time.

Screw out the jet eyes and use your winter plugs. Simply make certain that they are airtight.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.