Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Perferred Sand

1. Back To Top    #1

Perferred Sand

I tried searching using the terms "best sand" "sand filter" and I wasn't really getting any hits.

I am replacing my Hayward Sta-Rite due to broken laterals and leaky multi-port valve. I've never changed out a sand filter before so I wanted to see if there was a preferred sand that I should use. I was planning on just going to Home Depot and buying the Quickrete Pool Filter Sand but I noticed that it had a few bad reviews. I'm thinking sand is sand but I wanted to check with the pros here at TFP before I spent my money.
    1.) 27,000 gallons
    2.) Sand Filter
    3.) In-ground
    4.) Vinyl Liner
    5.) 1HP/63GPM

2. Back To Top    #2

Perferred Sand

I am interested in the same. Was also looking at the quickrete sand.

18x36 Grecian Vinyl; 8' Roman steps w/t 2 spa jets; cozy cove w/t 6 spa jets; 2 MD, 1 Skimmer, 3 returns; Hayward Ecostar, 30" Ranger sand filter; Hayward color logic 4.0 LED light; Hayward aqua logic; 2" PVC pipe 4 Jandy Valves

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

Re: Perferred Sand

You will need to purchase sand specifically for pool filters. It has been cleaned and sized for optimum performance in your filter. Do not use construction sand.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

Perferred Sand

Yeah I know that part. What I want to know is if there is a preferred sand to use. Like I said, I was just going to go with the Quickrete brand but there were several bad reviews on it. I'm sure there have been quite a few people on this forum that have bought pool sand before. What did you guys buy?

1.) 27,000 gallons
    2.) Sand Filter
    3.) In-ground
    4.) Vinyl Liner
    5.) 1HP/63GPM

5. Back To Top    #5

I am using the quickcrete brand and it works great for me. I have seen some postings where people felt like it was not well graded (lot's of variation), but again that was not my experience.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

6. Back To Top    #6

Where I live, believe it or not, I could not find #20 silica sand for pool filters last year, so I bought Zeobrite.
    13'x22'x52" 8,000 gallon ProSeries Pool with Borates
    Intex 110 pound Sand Filter with Zeobrite, 2650 gph pump, 0.95 hp
    Bestway SWG
    AquaPro ECO500 50,000 BTU heat pump
    GLI Whirlwind Solar Cover Reel, TF-100 Test Kit