Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Still giving props to the BBB!!!

1. Back To Top    #1

Still giving props to the BBB!!!

Overall this season (opened early mid may) spent 65 dollars on chemicals (aka bleach), and the first week was "shock" week.
    Very HAPPY have people seeing my family pics on facebook asking questions, and all i say is Troublefreepool.com. Read then ask me questions lol!

Was 94 here in southern Chicago. Full sun, Started the day with a bit over 5.5 FC. Me, and my 3 boys, 3 dogs (yes we let them swim, but i skim the hair out for 45 min, but hey its in the pool and sun!)
    We swam from 11:30 till after 5. No not the dogs I got them a kiddie pool to soak in as well.

Anyway, tonight I am paying for it, FC was 1.0 LMAO......But hey IT WORTH IT.

Hope everyone is now enjoying there CRYSTAL CLEAR POOLS!
    14,600g / 24ft. Round Above Ground with Solar Cover and solar heater panel.
    Vinyl Liner
    Hayward Cartridge Filter (CCX 1500RE)
    2 HP Hayward Powerflo LX Pump
    Pool and solar heater get full sun, when its shinning daily!!
    Using test kit: Taylor K-2006
    Successful BBB user.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Still giving props to the BBB!!!

maryj0w:

Congrats on your crystal clear pool!

I get similar comments and inquiries on how I maintain my pool. Still get some "deer-in-the-headlights" stares when I mention that plain old bleach is my primary chlorine source. But the proof is in the results. Have not had to shock since switching to BBB, even after big pool party with 2-dozen bathers and the occasional spills of adult beverages in the pool. All I had to do after party was run the filter longer than I normally do and dose FC to the high end of my target range that night. Also saving big $ by not using the other chemicals I was applying in the past.
    Gold Supporter, TFP Lifetime Supporter, 26,680 gal Plaster IGP 3.5 - 10' depth / Attached Waterfall Spa, Manually Chlorinated, Triton Sand Filter, 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP 1-speed Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 Pump, 400K BTU NG Teledyne Laars Series One Heater, Polaris 360, Test Kit Comparison, Chlorine/CYA Chart, SLAMing Your Pool, OCLT
    A good test kit is an investment, not an expense.

3. Back To Top    #3

I also live south of Chicago, but in Indiana, and yes the high temps the past few days, I have had to add a bit more bleach, but I am happy to be spending the time enjoying my sparkly pool than sitting in the house complaining about how hot it is............

4. Back To Top    #4

My pool is now amazingly crystal clear. Has been for a few weeks now. The only thing I need is some calcium to increase the hardness. Trying to find some without chlorine in it.
    27 foot AG, CYA producing in-line Pent-Air Chlorinator.

5. Back To Top    #5

As I say, the worst part of BBB is that I spend too much time trying to vacuum every speck off the bottom of my pool. Water is so clear I can see every little thing that gets in there (and sometimes try to vacuum the shadow of something floating). No other way to go.
    20x40 rectangle inground vinyl pool
    33K gallon of water
    1 HP Hayward Super pump
    Hayward high capacity sand filter S245T -250 pound sand
    pool is over 20 years old
    1 return line

6. Back To Top    #6

TFP Guide

Quote Originally Posted by BigStein
    As I say, the worst part of BBB is that I spend too much time trying to vacuum every speck off the bottom of my pool. Water is so clear I can see every little thing that gets in there (and sometimes try to vacuum the shadow of something floating). No other way to go.

I was thinking the same thing today!

I have referred two friends who where having pool issues in the last 3 days to this site. I even printed out a list of the items to use and why to give to my friend. My husband has been jokingly calling me "the pool queen" because our pool has never looked so good.
    26' X 52" Intex Ultra Frame. Intex Sand Filter
    26' X 52 Intex Ultra Frame Install
    You can lead a horse to (clear) water, but you can't force him to swim in it!

7. Back To Top    #7

I love tfp too. Thank my lucky stars that I found this site while our pool was being built and have never NOT used BBB, so I don't know how much I save. But I have priced out baking soda vs ph up and water softener salt vs pool salt and I know I've saved a ton. I think I spend about $100 per summer on chemicals. 40 on CYA and 50 on salt, both of which magically disappear over the hard winters in NH and 10 on chlorine to shock when the pool is opened. That's it. Of course my electric bill is high compared to pre pool days, but that would be the same no matter what method I used.

Plus, I'm addicted to reading the forums, looking for new bits of knowledge, which come often, and fun stories of pool adventures.
    19,000 gallons, Well Water
    Stay-Rite System 3 Cartridge filter
    IG vinyl, MasterTemp 400 Propane heater
    Intellichlor 40 SWG, 2006 Taylor Test Kit with Speed Stirrer
    1.5 HP Pump

8. Back To Top    #8

My wife was just saying we need to take a class so we can learn how to care for our (future) pool...i told her I already am, this site! Thanks in advance, I'm having fun reading.
    24' x 54" Oceanic Round AGP, 1090 Hayward Skimmer, EC-40 Filter system, Automatic Chlorinator. Pool will be in Full sun for most of the day (9am-6pm).

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by jimmerz
    My wife was just saying we need to take a class so we can learn how to care for our (future) pool...i told her I already am, this site!
    Ba-Zing!! Glad you found this site before your pool is built, let alone after a few years of frustrating pool store visits. I wish I was so lucky!
    33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months
    The most important article on this site - The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

10. Back To Top    #10

I guess we could complain about having to lug 20 bottle of bleach and a 4 boxes of 20 Mule home from the nearest box store... but then you figure you have spent less on on those 20 bottles and borax than you would have in one stop at "Empty-your-Wallet Pool Store" with their green-to-clean and phosphate removers when your biggest issue was that your FC chlorine level was 0.5 PPM.
    -- Guy --
    10K gallons in 21' Round 52 inch wall Aqualeader AG, Hayward Power Flow LX 1.5 HP pump motor, Hayward Perflex EC50AC DE filter w/Cellulose, Wide mouth skimmer, 2013 new Diver Dan (craigslist) to replace the faded old Hayward AquaBug. TF-100

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by Sulteric
    My pool is now amazingly crystal clear. Has been for a few weeks now. The only thing I need is some calcium to increase the hardness. Trying to find some without chlorine in it.
    Is this for the pool in your sig? You don't need calcium in vinyl pools.
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

12. Back To Top    #12

I am stunned at how well my pool is doing because of this community. I used to feel a victory when, following a pool store's advice, I would begin to see the drain under 9 feet of murky water. I even had friends come over whose kids would not go into the pool because they couldn't see the bottom of the pool clearly. Now 3 years later, I rush home to see the temperature of the water and if I have to vacuum the pool. Even the dogs like to float around and help keep things clean. They actually bite the leaves and pull them out. They also try to eat them but most of the time drop them onto their raft.

Thanks troublefreepools.com. I keep sending people here and always will.
    Attached Images Attached Images

13. Back To Top    #13

That looks awesome. I love the lights
    Curtis

Sydney Nova Scotia Canada
    Pool size: 26,500 gallons, Laser Sand filter 225(250lb), in ground, vinyl, hayward pump 1hp pump, Taylor Test Kit k-2006

14. Back To Top    #14

More props from my house !
    Started late last year when we had the old intex easy set, after having the usual cloudy nasty pool 3-4 weeks into the season, I started with BBB
    got it cleared finally and have never looked back. This year we have a 15' round Sharkline ABG and its been crystal clear since we opened it.
    Today its hot and hazy again.......... pool is already 84 and will likely be 88 by afternoon. Just got back from Walmart with supplies to get us through the long weekend !
    NO pools store for us
    2012 new 15' x 52" round sharkline above ground, DIY installed & BBB maintained. 3/4hp with 19" 150lb sand filter, 4 x 20 sungrabber solar heater. DIY solid piped.

15. Back To Top    #15

In the Industry

They also try to eat them but most of the time drop them onto their raft.
    May I borrow those dogs this Fall?
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

16. Back To Top    #16

My pup has been chasing the dragon flies that are frequenting our pool. She also chases after the crepe myrtle blooms that look like snow in the morning.

... and any excuse to show my sparkly pool is a great reason to share.
    -- Guy --
    10K gallons in 21' Round 52 inch wall Aqualeader AG, Hayward Power Flow LX 1.5 HP pump motor, Hayward Perflex EC50AC DE filter w/Cellulose, Wide mouth skimmer, 2013 new Diver Dan (craigslist) to replace the faded old Hayward AquaBug. TF-100