chlorine/bleach bottle recycle

smooth2222

LifeTime Supporter
Oct 25, 2010
michigan
Do you guys recycle your chlorine/bleach bottles?

i can recycle bleach bottles but over here its cheaper to buy the chlorine bottles from pool store or hardware store.

my recycle place says no chlorine bottles

Why?...because some people leave up a couple ounces of liquid in a bottle without rinsing... This is a hazard for the guy that has to sort it.

I've never had a problem recycling bleach, or any other household chemical bottles.
I always rinse thoroughly...and bleach rinses very clean.
How clean? Most of my empties get their tops cut off after rinsing and are used as containers for plants and even live fish!

The only problem I have is they now will not take empty oil bottles...and I do oil changes on 3 cars myself...

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
JohnT said:
kj5kb said:
The only problem I have is they now will not take empty oil bottles...and I do oil changes on 3 cars myself...

Use the oil bottles to take the used oil back for recycling.

Good idea...in theory
Not to derail the thread...but...it's WAY easier to drain all the used oil into a 5 gallon container for bulk recycling. And the local places that recycle used oil make you take back your containers anyway..

ON Topic...kinda...

The household bleach I buy has plastic sleeves for labels...I cut those off and reuse the rinsed bottles as containers or recycle 'em

Havent seen liquid pool chlorine around here, (Cleveland OH) but trash co (Republic) hasn't said it's a problem.

kj5kb said:
JohnT said:
kj5kb said:

Use the oil bottles to take the used oil back for recycling.

Good idea...in theory
Not to derail the thread...but...it's WAY easier to drain all the used oil into a 5 gallon container for bulk recycling. And the local places that recycle used oil make you take back your containers anyway..

ON Topic...kinda...

The household bleach I buy has plastic sleeves for labels...I cut those off and reuse the rinsed bottles as containers or recycle 'em

Havent seen liquid pool chlorine around here, (Cleveland OH) but trash co (Republic) hasn't said it's a problem.

Underlined is not universally true. This depends on your local recycling center. My town ONLY accepts oil in containers that they keep. My county accepts oil either way and they will keep original containers. I have to ask to get my big one back when I use it or they'll keep that. Since the town is open M-F and the county only once a month on the first Saturday, I do all my oil in the original containers. I still have to go to the county for coolant, as the town doesn't do that.

My county says not to recycle bleach, but I rinse well and cut off the label sleeve and they always take them.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.