Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Vacation for 10 days..what to do tonight?

1. Back To Top    #1

Vacation for 10 days..what to do tonight?

I am leaving in the morning for a 10 day vacation. Pool has been vacuumed and cleaned, just tested at my FC is at zero and my CC is at .5, My current CYA level is 30. I am planning to add chlorine tonight, but wasn't sure if I need to bring to a shock level of 12 or just get FC back up to 4? Also I have someone coming over to add chlorine, and I have advised them to add 50 ounce every 2 days? HELP? Do I shock tonight? or just get FC back up to 4, and then is the amount added every 2 days going to be ok (no one will be swimming in it for the 10 days)?????
    21 ft Round Dough Boy
    3/4 horsepower Dough Boy PowerPak II pump
    Vinyl Liner
    baqua goo convert

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Vacation for 10 days..what to do tonight?

Doesn't look like you picked a good time to go on vacation! The reason being that your FC is a big fat ZERO for SOME reason. Take it to a couple of points above shock level for your CYA. Can you get any trichlor tabs to put in a floater while you're gone? Can you use a solar cover? It's gonna need a 96 oz. jug of 6% bleach daily too.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

3. Back To Top    #3

The last time I put bleach in was on Sunday and put in 90 ounces or so b/c I was gone Monday till today for work conference- Just got in and it was 92'f today and very sunny. If I shock tonight and have neighbor put 50 ounces in every other day will that be ok?
    21 ft Round Dough Boy
    3/4 horsepower Dough Boy PowerPak II pump
    Vinyl Liner
    baqua goo convert

4. Back To Top    #4

You pool is about 10,000 gallons right?

Typical FC loss is 2-3ppm per DAY ... since you FC went to 0 you may have stuff growing and using more.

Lets assume you need to add 3ppm per day ... that is 62 oz. of 6% bleach every day.

Raise it to shock value 12+ right before you leave. If they are only coming every other day and not planning on testing, have them add 124oz every other day.

You might have a chance of coming home to a clear pool, but you should probably go through the shock process since you have clearly not been keeping the FC above 2ppm at all times.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!