Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Should I call my water department?

  1. Back To Top    #1
    UnderWaterVanya's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Mint Hill, NC
    Posts
    2,589

    Should I call my water department?

    My drinking water today measured:

    FC: 1.0 - 0.5
    PH: 8.2

    Should I call the water department? Or am I just bad at that color test? I can do an FAS-DPD test to verify the chlorine numbers but the PH is all color based and while I think I'm right it could be a between 7.8 and 8.2.

    A few days ago I checked my father-in-law's drinking water and it measured:

    FC: 1.5 (FAS-DPD measured)
    PH: 7.5

    EDIT: Hummmmm... I found some sources that say that PH can be as high as 9 in municipal water systems...
    Inlaws Pool Boy since June 14th 2012, Pool built ~ 2003, In-Ground, 16'x32'
    13500 gal, Vinyl Liner, Fiberglass Slide, TF-100 Test Kit, Hayward 210T
    sand filter, A.O. Smith 1.5HP main pump motor (C48L2N134C1),
    Hayward SuperPump (model ?), Polaris 380 & PB4 Booster Pump

  2. Back To Top    #2
    linen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Twin Cities, MN
    Posts
    8,649

    Re: Should I call my water department?

    Those are not uncommon values, are you having any problem with it?
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

  3. Back To Top    #3
    UnderWaterVanya's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Mint Hill, NC
    Posts
    2,589

    Re: Should I call my water department?

    Quote Originally Posted by linen
    Those are not uncommon values, are you having any problem with it?
    No - I just wanted to be sure since I am new to the whole testing thing and didn't want to be dealing with values that were nonesense. I have just found the city info on the water:
    http://charmeck.org/city/charlotte/Util ... ality.aspx

    And it confirms that between 0.2 - 1.6ppm Chlorine should be present (assume FC), and that the Ph of the water can range from 7.8 to 9.2. I guess I answered my own questions. I am surprised how much variation I am seeing - my father-in-law only lives 1.5 miles by road from me and less as the crow flies.

    I'm finding Ph to be really hard to judge - like someone else I saw on another topic I'd love to have a more accurate titration type Ph test rather than an optical comparison.

    EDIT: Is this type of product any good?
    http://www.amazon.com/Digital-Tester-Po ... B005EV44IE
    Inlaws Pool Boy since June 14th 2012, Pool built ~ 2003, In-Ground, 16'x32'
    13500 gal, Vinyl Liner, Fiberglass Slide, TF-100 Test Kit, Hayward 210T
    sand filter, A.O. Smith 1.5HP main pump motor (C48L2N134C1),
    Hayward SuperPump (model ?), Polaris 380 & PB4 Booster Pump

  4. Back To Top    #4
    linen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Twin Cities, MN
    Posts
    8,649

    Re: Should I call my water department?

    I do not know anything about that brand testor, but I do use and electronic one at my work (and could use it on my pool if I wanted). Any of the electronic ph testers will need to be calibrated frequently with a standard solution. This typically makes them more hassle then they are worth for private pools, IMO.

    Take a look at the extended test kit directions and see if that helps at all.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

  5. Back To Top    #5
    wetchem's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Somewhere in the middle of Nebraska
    Posts
    208

    Re: Should I call my water department?

    Quote Originally Posted by UnderWaterVanya
    I'm finding Ph to be really hard to judge - like someone else I saw on another topic I'd love to have a more accurate titration type Ph test rather than an optical comparison.
    You might take a look at using either a bright white or a slightly off coloured piece of paper behind the pH block... there was a discussion here: http://www.troublefreepool.com/ph-te...ng-t36482.html about this very issue and one solution I used for one of my students that had difficultly with seeing colours.

    Quote Originally Posted by UnderWaterVanya
    EDIT: Is this type of product any good?
    http://www.amazon.com/Digital-Tester-Po ... B005EV44IE
    There's a reason these are so cheap... the ones like this we have used in the industral lab well, in a lab, you usually get what you pay for....
    the $7.00 ones don't last more than a few weeks at most... the $50 work until the field tech drops it the first time.


    -wc
    Intex Ultraframe 14'x3.5-Round (4000ish-gal) AG - Vinyl - Intex 5667EG Sand Filter 1600gph :)
    ( retired: 637R Crtrge 1000gph someday it may have another life as a water fountain... or feet washer! Solar Water Heater? )

    :mrgreen: Click here to Goto Pool School. :scratch: How Much Of What? Click Here - Poolcalculator.com :lookhere: TestKits

  6. Back To Top    #6
    UnderWaterVanya's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Mint Hill, NC
    Posts
    2,589

    Re: Should I call my water department?

    Quote Originally Posted by wetchem
    Quote Originally Posted by UnderWaterVanya
    I'm finding Ph to be really hard to judge - like someone else I saw on another topic I'd love to have a more accurate titration type Ph test rather than an optical comparison.
    You might take a look at using either a bright white or a slightly off coloured piece of paper behind the pH block... there was a discussion here: http://www.troublefreepool.com/ph-te...ng-t36482.html about this very issue and one solution I used for one of my students that had difficultly with seeing colours.
    Already doing that... sadly not that much help. I have pretty good color vision - but apparently no color judgement - LOL.


    Quote Originally Posted by wetchem
    Quote Originally Posted by UnderWaterVanya
    EDIT: Is this type of product any good?
    http://www.amazon.com/Digital-Tester-Po ... B005EV44IE
    There's a reason these are so cheap... the ones like this we have used in the industral lab well, in a lab, you usually get what you pay for....
    the $7.00 ones don't last more than a few weeks at most... the $50 work until the field tech drops it the first time.
    Oh well...
    Inlaws Pool Boy since June 14th 2012, Pool built ~ 2003, In-Ground, 16'x32'
    13500 gal, Vinyl Liner, Fiberglass Slide, TF-100 Test Kit, Hayward 210T
    sand filter, A.O. Smith 1.5HP main pump motor (C48L2N134C1),
    Hayward SuperPump (model ?), Polaris 380 & PB4 Booster Pump

  7. Back To Top    #7
    wetchem's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Somewhere in the middle of Nebraska
    Posts
    208

    Re: Should I call my water department?

    Have you tried the slightly different coloured backgrounds as offered in the other thread?
    I have issues with Yellows; however, with a slightly blue light or very pale blue background, I can see the shifts in even very slight tints/shades of yellow. I discovered this about myself while helping my student work thru the red/green thing and the tints of red. Until then, I always thought I had really good colour vision - my Mom's a painter and I use to help mix her colours when I was kid. Never knew about the yellow thingy.

    -
    ya, bummer about the pH meter... sometimes some of the scientific suppliers will sale such items to the general public. Over the next few days I'll see if there's something reasonable out there for the industrial labs. I haven't looked in years because it was cheaper to make the field tech come back to the lab
    -wc
    Intex Ultraframe 14'x3.5-Round (4000ish-gal) AG - Vinyl - Intex 5667EG Sand Filter 1600gph :)
    ( retired: 637R Crtrge 1000gph someday it may have another life as a water fountain... or feet washer! Solar Water Heater? )

    :mrgreen: Click here to Goto Pool School. :scratch: How Much Of What? Click Here - Poolcalculator.com :lookhere: TestKits

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •