Become a TFP Supporter Welcome to our new server and new forum software. Pool School

Thread: Thinking of a new pump and filter

Thinking of a new pump and filter

Hey gang, reposting this here.
    I finally got my pool filled and all hooked up today. I had a leak over the winter where the pool drained to about a foot, so I hired a pool guy to come out and help me find it and neither of us can find it?? He is stumped and so am I. So I just filled it and see what happens. It has seemed to stay at the same level for the past two nights, so I don't know what is going on.

Back on topic, I set up my filter and pump and it is on its fifth season and looking at my equipment I think I may want to redo it all. The sand tank has a leak because I stripped the thread for the drain. I tried everything, but still seems to leak, it is not allot, but it is a leak. The pump started right up, but when I went to back wash, the pumped seemed to jerk and was spinning until it caught. I shut it off and it did it again. So I am thinking about upgrading to some better stuff, before I have problems later on in the summer. Can anyone recommend me a good filter. I mean should I stay with sand or get a cartridge? I like the sand filter, it is pretty easy and I have used them for years (parents home), so I know my way around them.

Now for the pump, I have a pump with a built in timer and I love that feature. But I would like a better pump, maybe a bit quieter, timer would be a bonus. I also need a three prong cord end as my electric is set up for that three prong locking outlet. I guess in short, I want a new set up, I have a ABG Pool and it is 21'. If anyone has any advise, I would love it. Thanks NJ>>
    Lomart 21ft round 11,000 gal 52"
    Hayward EC40 Perflex DE filter
    1hp Hayward Powerflo Matrix with micro timer
    Pool Rover JR ABG pool Vacuum (The best)

Back up pump and filter
    Spectra 3 sand filter/ Promega 1 horse pump with timer

Re: Thinking of a new pump and filter

How did you try to fix that leak? Have you tried JB Weld?

I love sand filters. You will get a different opinion from just about whoever you ask.
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II T100 Sand Filter, CompuPool CPCS48 SWG, TF-100 test kit