Become a TFP Supporter Welcome to our new server and new forum software. If you have problems logging in to the new system, you should try resetting your password. Click HERE to do that. Pool School

Thread: To wall foam or not to wall foam, that is the question

To wall foam or not to wall foam, that is the question

Well it looks like after waiting for close to 3 weeks, my neighborhood Mr. Fixit is coming saturday to "hopefully" level the yard for the 24 foot Matrix I want to put in. So assuming he doesn't run into any problems with the area(rocks) I will be ordering the pool this weekend. I'm planning on a foam cove mainly for the uniformity around the bottom and was wondering what everyone thought about wall foam? Does it make a difference in temp retention or is it mainly for the feel of a softer wall.

Any and all opinions are greatly appreciated
    24 Ft Sharkline Matrix , ~15,200 Gallons
    Pentair SD60 w/ 2 speed 1.5 HP Dynamo pump
    Taylor K-2006 --- BBB

Re: To wall foam or not to wall foam, that is the question

No difference in heat retention, others may disagree but there simply isn't enough insulation value there, any "evidence" to the contrary is simply anecdotal.
    It can be nice for a softer wall feel though.

Matrix is a great pool!
    20' X 54" Sharkline Matrix Resin AGP, 9400 Gallons, Sta-Rite 1 HP Dynamo Pump, 150 lb Pentair Sand Filter, Gorilla Pad,
    Foam Cove, Taylor K-2006 kit, BBB method, 8'X20' Fafco Sunsaver Hard Plumb, DIY Fountain, Margarittaville Fiji

My Build: one-man-one-pool-and-one-deck-agp-pics-t37172.html
    My Build 'To-Do' List for other DIY'ers: my-pool-build-list-t40249.html?hilit=list

Thought about the foam..But,would put a pad in for sure..
    Leasure bay AG 24ft,52 in high.installed June of 1999. Updated to Hayworth S-180 T sand filter 2003,,BBB method started in may2010,,TF-100

I was at your spray painted circle! I'm sitting here looking at mine as our pool installer arrives tomorrow. I can't speak to what it's like to OWN the products, but I can tell you what we chose, and why

We opted to do foam cove and Gorilla Pad. The foam cove was thrown in by the pool store as a freebie. The pad we paid for but for two.

1. We have crawfish in our suburban midwest backyard. I'd like to discourage them from coming up and getting my liner!
    2. There's a lot of 'stuff' in the yard compliments of a lazy builder -- glass, rocks, etc

We chose Gorilla pad because of 1. cost 2. one piece construction. It'll be installed tomorrow so I can let you know then. We didn't do wall foam because my engineer hubby said it wouldn't have much insulating effect and we'd already committed to spending enough!

Congrats on the new pool, hope the ground work goes smoothly for you!
    Vogue Vectra 30' Round (21,200 gallons), Waterway 2HP 2-speed, 27" sand filter - TF100 -- Southern IL - Install 06/2012
    Last minute upgrade from 27' due to error in dealer inventory *yikes*

I'm with cramer on this one, no significant insulating value. If your wall was rough on the inside, it would protect the liner, but rough walls are not normal unless a lot of repair has been done.
    TFP Moderator who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

Thanks for all the replies, really appreciate it. You all confirmed what I was pretty sure about but wanted to be certain. I'd already planned on a pad, ArmourShield is what poolsupplyworld sells but I'm still researching the differences in brands.

@Bethy - Hope you install goes perfectly and please post up some pictures.

@Cramer - I've looked through your build threads so many times, thanks for all the information. The Matrix wasn't my first choice but we ended up wanting the 54 inch depth and the extra cost for the Matrix was nothing.
    24 Ft Sharkline Matrix , ~15,200 Gallons
    Pentair SD60 w/ 2 speed 1.5 HP Dynamo pump
    Taylor K-2006 --- BBB

Glad the pics helped!

I have Gorilla Pad, if you go that route just be aware that that is absolutely no insulation or padding value to it, it is a very thin geotextile type fabric whose sole purpose is to prevent tears to the liner. I'm not endorsing that brand over a different one, just putting it out there that there is no padding/insulation value to it, and I don't believe the company claims it either.
    20' X 54" Sharkline Matrix Resin AGP, 9400 Gallons, Sta-Rite 1 HP Dynamo Pump, 150 lb Pentair Sand Filter, Gorilla Pad,
    Foam Cove, Taylor K-2006 kit, BBB method, 8'X20' Fafco Sunsaver Hard Plumb, DIY Fountain, Margarittaville Fiji

My Build: one-man-one-pool-and-one-deck-agp-pics-t37172.html
    My Build 'To-Do' List for other DIY'ers: my-pool-build-list-t40249.html?hilit=list

Thanks! We've already had a call and a pretty significant change before 8am, including not using our Gorilla Pad Guess the good news is we're getting a bigger pool for no $ upgrade and they are throwing in the perfect bottom in exchange for my gorilla pad since it's their error.... Here's a link to my build thread: pool-change-on-install-day-need-quick-advice-t47841.html
    Vogue Vectra 30' Round (21,200 gallons), Waterway 2HP 2-speed, 27" sand filter - TF100 -- Southern IL - Install 06/2012
    Last minute upgrade from 27' due to error in dealer inventory *yikes*