Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Landscape Ideas

1. Back To Top    #1

Landscape Ideas

Could use some landscape ideas if you guys had any advice. It looks plan. I was thinking of maybe a mulch bed around the pool or some type of stone bed? Also, was thinking of removing those shrubs and planting something else to maybe hide the fence,etc? Any ideas?
    25k Gallon Gunite Inground Pool
    Pentair FNS PLUS DE filter
    Pentair WhisperFlo WF-24 (seems like single speed)
    Chlorine
    Bel Air, MD 21015

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Landscape Ideas

Plants would depend on your location.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

3. Back To Top    #3

Maryland central
    Chlorine
    Bel Air, MD 21015

4. Back To Top    #4

Those shrubs crepe myrtles?

Got any pics from inside the pool, meaning what do you see when you are in the pool looking around? Distant houses etc?

Stone beds can be annoying. Too small of stone and when you try to clean out dirt/grass chippings/leafs with a blower you end up blowing stone too. I think the grass up to concrete looks nice on the picture you've posted which only shows one side of pool.

Are you finding you want more deck space or something and don't want chairs in the grass?

What is the distance from edge of pool deck to that fence? Is the fence higher elevation than the pool, or is there a valley between pool and fence, or is it flat by pool?
    18'x43' Sport Pool
    19,000 Gallons Vinyl Liner 3'-3.5'-4'
    SWCG and D.E. Filter
    Test Kits - Pool Calculator - Chlorine/CYA Chart - Pool School

Secret Weapon for Pool Chemistry Testing

5. Back To Top    #5

It's about 10 feet from concrete to fence. There is a valley but fence is still higher than pool.
    Chlorine
    Bel Air, MD 21015

6. Back To Top    #6

Personally, I like the view.

Angie M.
    AG, 26' x 52" Intex Ultra Frame, vinyl, 14667 gal. And LOVING it!!! Hayward S15922S 1HP, 2SP pump and Hayward S220T Sand Filter. Hard plumbed with PVC, added second return, intex SWG, Hydro Pool widemouth skimmer. Set up in May 2012!
    N.E. Florida. TF100 - Best investment EVER! (Well, for the pool anyway)

7. Back To Top    #7

I just had those shrubs mainly. Also, that fence looks old.
    Chlorine
    Bel Air, MD 21015

8. Back To Top    #8

I like what you have now because it is low maintence and won't cause a mess in the pool. What about adding a few potted flowers/plants around the pool in front of the tiki torches. Maybe keep the existing shrubs but you could edge them out and mulch them to give it a more finished look.
    Currently Pooless

Former Pool:Buster Crabbe resin and steel 30'x15' oval 52" ABG pool Pentair sand dollar filter 1.5 Pentair Dynamo pump13,500 gallons

9. Back To Top    #9

Landscape Ideas

I personally like it but if your really wanting to do something put a small brick type wall around the shrubs and fill it in with mulch and plant some flowers in it.
    Just make sure you put a mow edge on it or you will wish you had. We installed a few retaining walls for flower beds and I wish I would have put a mow edge on it as weed whacking the brick edge can be a pain.
    18' x 33' Aqua leader AGP (~19k gal) w/hayward swimpro voyager cartridge filter and 2hp hayward pump.
    8 Gal LQ, hayward heater.

10. Back To Top    #10

I would grow some nice ground cover on the hill/slope below the fence and to about where the water flows in the swale. I would leave the swale either grass or add a river rock dry bed and add a nice line of bender board (thick plastic one or three layers of thin wooden ones). The choice of ground cover plant will depend on what grows well there. I am not sure I would grow anything too tall near the fence. It looks like I would like the view of the split rail fence and the area behind... unless the view gets unattractive for part of the swimming season. I like the grass near the pool decking.

For the dry river bed in my yard, I used mostly 3/4 inch salt and pepper rocks (2 yards) and added a 1/4 yard of the 2-4" rocks that I mixed in with the smaller rocks. The mix will need to be adjusted using local suppliers. I just went to the local landscape rock yard and ordered the two rocks in the same load. They "mixed" when they dumped them in my front yard and I shoveled them into my wheel barrow. The area with the rock is 2-3 lower than the surrounding area or they were "piled" into a 2' deep minimum fill and as much as 6". This also slows the surface run-off from my yard.
    -- Guy --
    10K gallons in 21' Round 52 inch wall Aqualeader AG, Hayward Power Flow LX 1.5 HP pump motor, Hayward Perflex EC50AC DE filter w/Cellulose, Wide mouth skimmer, 2013 new Diver Dan (craigslist) to replace the faded old Hayward AquaBug. TF-100

11. Back To Top    #11

Landscape Ideas

Here's the river rock around my deck. It's large #4 river rock or jack rock. A leaf blower won't move it. It's a pain to handle and haul (especially since I've got 14tons of it around my house) but you only do it once.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    10,000gal fiberglass kidney
    3/4 hp whisperflo
    Sand dollar SD80
    IC40 SWCG
    (2) PAL2000 multi colored LED lights
    all 2" plumbing
    no water features/no spa
    TF Testkit

12. Back To Top    #12

I like it how it is. Big potted plants are a great idea and can be changed and relocated for different looks. Up lighting those shrubs and maybe some rope lights on the fence for a good relaxing mood at night.
    11,872 Gallon IG Shotcrete play pool
    Blue Granite Pebble Sheen finish
    Hayward SwimClear c4025, Navigator & Tristar 1.75hp pump
    2' Powerfall

13. Back To Top    #13

Quote Originally Posted by tjwaggoner
    Here's the river rock around my deck. It's large #4 river rock or jack rock. A leaf blower won't move it. It's a pain to handle and haul (especially since I've got 14tons of it around my house) but you only do it once.
    I really like the way the river rock looks coming up to the decking. I am planning to do something very similar with our pool. I told the wife I don't want to have deal with cutting grass inside the fence.

Do you have a ground cover (plastic sheet, etc.) under the river rock?
    Vince L

16' x 37' fiberglass pool, 8' fiberglass spa, Hayward Swimclear C3030 filter, Hayward EcoStar VS pump, Goldline Pro Logic PL-PS-8, Goldline SWCG, Goldline Sense & Dispense pH control, Fiberstars LED's in pool & spa, AquaCal SQ175R heat pump, SR Smith Typhoon slide, Polaris 9300xi robotic cleaner, TF-100 Test Kit

14. Back To Top    #14

Yes I used a fabric product. its farily expensive to cover a large area but it works and it takes a LOT of punishment without tearing. You really need something under the rock to keep it clean, moreso than keeping weeds out (which is an impossibility). If you have rock on bare ground everytime it rains or you water your plants the mud splashes up on your rocks. I have this same rock all around the front of our house too.
    3/4 hp whisperflo
    Sand dollar SD80
    IC40 SWCG
    all 2" plumbing
    no water features/no spa
    TF Testkit

15. Back To Top    #15

I didnt want to take a lawnmower inside my fence either. And I quickly grew tired of trying to keep mulch looking fresh at our old house so I said I would never buy the stuff again. This stuff is so heavy that anything that gets in it, you can take the leaf blower to it and just blow it out and the rock stays put
    3/4 hp whisperflo
    Sand dollar SD80
    IC40 SWCG
    all 2" plumbing
    no water features/no spa
    TF Testkit

16. Back To Top    #16

I'm sure you are tired of it. But if I had what you already have, I would be in heaven. My back yard is so ghetto.
    Intex UltraFrame 14'x48in - 3,900 gallons. Intex 1600 GPH combo Sand Filter/SWG Hard Plumbed w/Hayward skimmer, suction & return. Borates.
    And... 15k gallon kidney shaped gunite 1975 vintage. Hayward DE3620 filter + Hayward 750 pump.
    TF100 Test Kit | Pool School | Pool Math

17. Back To Top    #17

It's been almost a year since I posted in this thread.

As inspired by tjwaggoner, we have been laying river rock throughout the area inside the pool fence. We had 10 cubic yards delivered and have just about put all of that down. But, we need more. So, tomorrow, we are having another 5 cubic yards delivered. Because of where we had to have the pool installed, we have multiple steep slopes. So, we've got some very large rocks at the base of these slopes to keep the rock from sliding during heavy rains.

It doesn't look that big, but this is 10 cubic yards of river rock.

We installed landscape lights last fall after the pool build was completed. Here is some progress on putting down the river rock.

The VERY STEEP slope that required some large river rocks.

An early evening picture.

Vince L

16' x 37' fiberglass pool, 8' fiberglass spa, Hayward Swimclear C3030 filter, Hayward EcoStar VS pump, Goldline Pro Logic PL-PS-8, Goldline SWCG, Goldline Sense & Dispense pH control, Fiberstars LED's in pool & spa, AquaCal SQ175R heat pump, SR Smith Typhoon slide, Polaris 9300xi robotic cleaner, TF-100 Test Kit

18. Back To Top    #18

How about adding some small beds on the edge of the decking with flowers, grasses, short shrubs or colorful ground cover.

It's not the best photo, but you can see what we did on ours. Of course we do not have the nice view you have. You can see more on my build link in my sig.

McKinney, TX
    Pool build in progress, 14.8K gallons, OK flagstone copping (sealed), IG Gunite/Pebblesheen (Blue Granite), Pentair intelliflow 3050 vs - svrs, Pentair IC20 Salt-Gen, 60 sq ft Pentair DE filter, 400k BTU Pentair (NG) heater, Polaris 280 with Booster, Dual Time Clocks with freeze protect feature, Pool (1) 500w (1) 100W Spa (1) 100w lights, (2) Skimmers, 4 Pool Returns, 6 Spa Jets, water features incl (3) 12 scuppers on 12 x 31 raised beam, (2) Gushers on tanning ledge, and double cut spa spillway. controlled by easytouch 8
    http://www.troublefreepool.com/under...t56120-40.html