Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: They dropped my fiberglass pool!!

1. Back To Top    #1

New Pool

The PB just put in a new pool.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: They dropped my fiberglass pool!!

Anyone out there have advice? They are sending someone to talk to me now......
    13 x 29 IG fiberglass pool-
    Waterways pump-Jandy Cartridge filter-Salt system- TF100 Test Kit-

3. Back To Top    #3

How far of a drop are we talking? Sounds like an epic fail on their part but I am not a fiberglass person so I will not try to pass judgement. Sorry you had that happen though. I hope things turn out ok for you.
    18x34 Doughboy AGP 22300K Gallons - Build Thread
    Aquaview 24" Sand Filter - 1.5 HP Powerline Pump - Barracuda Ranger - Taylor K-2006 - BBB
    Pool School and Pool Calculator

4. Back To Top    #4

You might benefit from this thread: http://www.troublefreepool.com/new-f...lp-t43101.html

Good luck!
    36K gallon 42X22 gunite/plaster kidney-shaped IG;
    1 hp Hayward Super Pump (new in 2012);
    Hayward S244T sand filter w/ Zeosand (both new in 2009);
    175K BTU LAARS Lite2 LG natural gas heater; Polaris 380;
    TF-100 test kit.

5. Back To Top    #5

Those things are pretty solidly made. Chances are it is fine, though it is certainly possible that there is damage.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

They dropped my fiberglass pool!!

I am not a fiberglass expert either but I would look over the bottom of the pool that hit the pavement and the inside of the pool. Make sure there are no nicks or anything in the fiberglass. If it was a short fall it should be ok as fiberglass is pretty tough but as far as 5 years down the road. No one can give you that answer. If you do decide to keep it I would make the PB sign something stating he would warranty it from cracks for X amount of years and would put that video under lock and key for future problems. If the PB really doesn't think it hurt it he should have no problem backing up his work and opinion on the damage to the fiberglass. GL

18x36 Grecian Vinyl; 8' Roman steps w/t 2 spa jets; cozy cove w/t 6 spa jets; 2 MD, 1 Skimmer, 3 returns; Hayward Ecostar, 30" Ranger sand filter; Hayward color logic 4.0 LED light; Hayward aqua logic; 2" PVC pipe 4 Jandy Valves

7. Back To Top    #7

Watching the video would give people here a better sense of what you are talking about....
    18'x43' Sport Pool
    19,000 Gallons Vinyl Liner 3'-3.5'-4'
    SWCG and D.E. Filter
    Test Kits - Pool Calculator - Chlorine/CYA Chart - Pool School

Secret Weapon for Pool Chemistry Testing

8. Back To Top    #8

Thanks for your responses.

9. Back To Top    #9

One thing to consider... if the impact caused hairline gelcoat cracks, these may not be readily visible at first (dirt/algae collecting in the cracks will eventually make them darker and more noticeable). So, in other words, even if they show you that there are no visible cracks, that doesn't mean they are not not there and won't show up later.

--Michael
    Slidell, Louisiana (near New Orleans) 11,000gal kidney shaped Trilogy fiberglass pool Intelliflo VS Triton TR100 filter Easytouch 4 w/IC20 SWCG Polaris 280

10. Back To Top    #10

4 feet. You wouldn't drop a boat that far and still call it safe. I would demand a new pool. While you still can.
    Aquaview 24" Sand Filter - 1.5 HP Powerline Pump - Barracuda Ranger - Taylor K-2006 - BBB

11. Back To Top    #11

I agree....don't sign for that one. Go for a new one. Don't risk it!

12. Back To Top    #12

They dropped my fiberglass pool!!

I would also agree. Any damage I would not accept because that is just setting you up for problems later no matter if you can see it because of the coping or not. Fiberglass is strong but once there is damage it can spread. If one part is damaged that weakens the whole unit.

18x36 Grecian Vinyl; 8' Roman steps w/t 2 spa jets; cozy cove w/t 6 spa jets; 2 MD, 1 Skimmer, 3 returns; Hayward Ecostar, 30" Ranger sand filter; Hayward color logic 4.0 LED light; Hayward aqua logic; 2" PVC pipe 4 Jandy Valves

13. Back To Top    #13

Oh man this has got to be tough. It's so easy for us to say "demand a new one" etc., but we aren't there dealing with the contractor who is probably freaking out on the inside and all calm and reassuring on the outside towards you.

How in the world did they drop it?

I would want a new one!
    18'x43' Sport Pool
    19,000 Gallons Vinyl Liner 3'-3.5'-4'
    SWCG and D.E. Filter
    Test Kits - Pool Calculator - Chlorine/CYA Chart - Pool School

Secret Weapon for Pool Chemistry Testing

14. Back To Top    #14

Agreed as well. Paraphrasing an earlier thread...you're spending many thousands of dollars on a piece of equipment that MUST provide safe, reliable service, at risk of damage to you, your property, your family, your neighbors' property, and your home.

You have a right to demand that it be handled correctly, REGARDLESS of how much assurance a stranger gives you that "it'll be ok", or how difficult they may try to make the process.
    -Gordon
    Pool School helps me maintain my 13,500G 24' x 48" ASP with Sand Filtration using a TF100 Test Kit and Pool Calculator.
    Remember, the Shock Process should be followed until : 1. CC is less than 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT shows a loss of 1.0 ppm or less and, 3. The water is crystal clear.
    --I didn't buy my pool to swim in it. I bought my pool to watch my wife swim in it. :wink:

15. Back To Top    #15

Also, you accepting that one might be releasing them of future responsibility. As soon as it hit the ground it became used/broken and I bet you paid for a new pool.

16. Back To Top    #16

Quote Originally Posted by harleysilo
    Oh man this has got to be tough. It's so easy for us to say "demand a new one" etc., but we aren't there dealing with the contractor who is probably freaking out on the inside and all calm and reassuring on the outside towards you.
    That's what insurance is for. Any good contractor has more than enough to cover this, or at least he better. I wouldn't accept a new TV that's been dropped but "looks" ok...nor would I accept this. There's several ways a contractor can weasel out of the warranty in the future...and that's assuming they're still in business in a few years. Stand tall....you didn't make the mistake, they did!

17. Back To Top    #17

They will just sell it to someone else anyway.
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!

18. Back To Top    #18

Dude, read that linked thread in the 4th message in this thread.

Make sure that thing is satisfactory to YOUR standards, not the installers standards. How much have you paid out right now and how much will you have paid out once the pool is in the ground and finished. Best to deal with this sooner rather than later.
    20' X 54" Sharkline Matrix Resin AGP, 9400 Gallons, Sta-Rite 1 HP Dynamo Pump, 150 lb Pentair Sand Filter, Gorilla Pad,
    Foam Cove, Taylor K-2006 kit, BBB method, 8'X20' Fafco Sunsaver Hard Plumb, DIY Fountain, Margarittaville Fiji

My Build: one-man-one-pool-and-one-deck-agp-pics-t37172.html
    My Build 'To-Do' List for other DIY'ers: my-pool-build-list-t40249.html?hilit=list

19. Back To Top    #19

Quote Originally Posted by Leebo
    Quote Originally Posted by harleysilo
    That's what insurance is for. Any good contractor has more than enough to cover this, or at least he better. I wouldn't accept a new TV that's been dropped but "looks" ok...nor would I accept this. There's several ways a contractor can weasel out of the warranty in the future...and that's assuming they're still in business in a few years. Stand tall....you didn't make the mistake, they did!

Hmm... This is hitting the nail on the head right here spot on...DEMAND A NEW ONE!
    POOL SIZE: 27 FT round 52" Deep on edges 66" Deep in center
    FILTER TYPE: Hayward Sand Filter
    PUMP SIZE: Hayward 1 HP Pump 60GPM
    FILTER SIZE/FLOW RATE: Unknown
    HEATER: None at the moment but in process of making my solar panels should be operational by next season!

20. Back To Top    #20

Thank you ALL so much! I stood my ground and the company owner called and made it right. They will be bringing a new pool, albeit a different shape, here tomorrow and having another crew install it. I am SO relieved. We will have to pay more money however because the other available pool is more expensive. I guess that is the price for peace though. Hopefully they can work with us on that part.

I can't say thank you enough for your encouragement and support. You guys really helped me to stand by what I felt and proceed as necessary!

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast