Clairfier

May 30, 2012
I have been shocking the pool for what seems like forever.
The pool is clearing, but is still murky in the deep end. What is the thinking on Clarifiers? I picked up Aqua Chem super water clairifier at wally world. It doesn't have any ingredients listed; since I have it any downside to using it.

33,000 vinyl with sand filter
CYA 30-35
FC 13
CC .5
PH 7.5
CH 440
TA 120

We want to get into the pool, I am thinking of allowing the FC drop to 7 or so to get into the water and help stir things up. Only 2 returns, no bottom drain, 1 skimmer

thanks,

Mike

Rather than let your chlorine go so low (probably the single most common error when shocking) why not simply brush and vacuum the pool....that'll stir things up and it is supposed to be a part of the shock process anyway.

If you want to get in anyway, go ahead. FC at that level is fine.

RobbieH said:
What do you consider forever? It can take 2-3 weeks to clear the pool, unfortunately.

Was super chlorinating with cal hypo for a couple of weeks, have been using bleach for the last 3 weeks.

duraleigh said:
Rather than let your chlorine go so low (probably the single most common error when shocking) why not simply brush and vacuum the pool....that'll stir things up and it is supposed to be a part of the shock process anyway.

If you want to get in anyway, go ahead. FC at that level is fine.

BTW I am brushing and vacuuming at least once a day. I see here that many posters are saying it's OK to swim in 12+ ppm of chlorine; running a search of the web I cannot find any "studies" that show it's safe.
Can you share the data that shows it's OK to swim at shock levels?

thanks,

Mike

duraleigh said:
If you are uncomfortable, you shouldn't swim until it gets down to a level you are comfortable with.

Dave,

I hope I didn't come across as augmentative that wasn't my intent. Just wanted to see if there is any "hard data" on what is OK or not. With the grandchildren dying their hair this color and then that color, I wouldn't want to have any problems.

Hair color issues are caused by metals. I believe it's copper.

I swim right after dosing. Last season with a CYA around 95 we swam with level of ~15-18 ppm. (after dosing in prep for the next day of full sun)

I've yet to hear any positive comments on clarifier. Chlorine is the best clarifier.

Speedo said:
Hair color issues are caused by metals. I believe it's copper.

I swim right after dosing. Last season with a CYA around 95 we swam with level of ~15-18 ppm. (after dosing in prep for the next day of full sun)

I've yet to hear any positive comments on clarifier. Chlorine is the best clarifier.

If I understand the relationship between CYA and Chlorine, looking at the CYA-Chlorine chart

with a CYA of 95 you are shocking at 35 and want to keep the everyday levels between 7 & 10

with my CYA of 30+ a little Shock at 12 and target chlorine at 4
Isn't your CYA level being so high that allows you to safely swim at 15-18?

I am thinking the best thing to do is leave the vacuum at the bottom of the deep end pulling water off the bottom and using some of the fiber stuff (sorry i forget the name) in the filter to help pull out the fines.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
reeltor said:
with a CYA of 95 you are shocking at 35 and want to keep the everyday levels between 7 & 10

with my CYA of 30+ a little Shock at 12 and target chlorine at 4
Isn't your CYA level being so high that allows you to safely swim at 15-18?
That's true, I was targeting 11ppm and when there was full sun and a few people swimming I would lose a good 5+ ppm/day.

At a target of 11 going to 16 would be 1.45x
At a target of 4.5, 1.45x would be 6.5 ppm

Wow, doing the math... that really is a large difference.

reeltor said:
Not data, but a good discussion by chem geek about the shock level in the cya/chlorine chart being lower than the normal FC levels in most public pools: http://www.troublefreepool.com/safe-to-swim-while-shocking-t33319.html#p274634

To get a deeper understanding of the cya/chlorine relationship, you will have to wander into the "The Deep End..." and start reading: http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-water-chemistry-t628.html

linen said:
reeltor said:
Not data, but a good discussion by chem geek about the shock level in the cya/chlorine chart being lower than the normal FC levels in most public pools: http://www.troublefreepool.com/safe-to-swim-while-shocking-t33319.html#p274634

To get a deeper understanding of the cya/chlorine relationship, you will have to wander into the "The Deep End..." and start reading: http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-water-chemistry-t628.html

I'll need my waterwings :mrgreen:

Thanks for the link, there is so much info it's easy to miss good threads :-D

I use clarifiers quite often. I always make sure the pool is correct chemically first.
But I find them really helpful as an aid. In fact I am particular fond of the Aqua Chem brand from Lowes.
But as started earlier do not overdose it. I never have overdosed, butvdon't ever want to see what happens when you do...most likely nothing.

Just my two cents.
Lowes also has a Sink and Swim floc that works rather well. But make sure the water is healthy first... Because it does require you to turn off the pump for 12-24 hours.

Good luck,
PF

pool_pano.jpg

If it was any clearer my eyes wouldn't know I was in water.

Pool_Fool said:
I use clarifiers quite often. I always make sure the pool is correct chemically first.
But I find them really helpful as an aid. In fact I am particular fond of the Aqua Chem brand from Lowes.
But as started earlier do not overdose it. I never have overdosed, butvdon't ever want to see what happens when you do...most likely nothing.

Just my two cents.
Lowes also has a Sink and Swim floc that works rather well. But make sure the water is healthy first... Because it does require you to turn off the pump for 12-24 hours.

Good luck,
PF

Does using the Aqua Chem product foam in your pool?

I don't know if I am Chemically correct :roll: PH and TA within range, CH high but it's a vinyl liner so I am not too concerned about it (yet?) Chlorine at shock level CYA 30+ a little

Speedo: Your water is really nice looking, are you using any borax?

I definitely don't want to turn off the pump at this time.

Pool_Fool said:
No they do not foam...
Better late then never right?
:-D

LOL, When I just started the shock process and had green in the water I used the Leslie's product I think it's called Ultra Bright.

It foamed like crazy, and in the morning i had mats of foam with pollen and algae on top.

I did try the AquaChem product, no foaming but not noticeable clearing of the pool either. I think I had better luck with a little of the FiberClear put into the skimmer, always had to backwash a day or two later to get rid of the stuff it trapped.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.