Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Clairfier

1. Back To Top    #1

Clairfier

I have been shocking the pool for what seems like forever.
    The pool is clearing, but is still murky in the deep end. What is the thinking on Clarifiers? I picked up Aqua Chem super water clairifier at wally world. It doesn't have any ingredients listed; since I have it any downside to using it.

33,000 vinyl with sand filter
    CYA 30-35
    FC 13
    CC .5
    PH 7.5
    CH 440
    TA 120

We want to get into the pool, I am thinking of allowing the FC drop to 7 or so to get into the water and help stir things up. Only 2 returns, no bottom drain, 1 skimmer

thanks,

Mike
    20 x 40 Vinyl, w/ Pentair 1 hp pump & Hayward 24" top mount filter

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Clairfier

What do you consider forever? It can take 2-3 weeks to clear the pool, unfortunately.
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

Rather than let your chlorine go so low (probably the single most common error when shocking) why not simply brush and vacuum the pool....that'll stir things up and it is supposed to be a part of the shock process anyway.

If you want to get in anyway, go ahead. FC at that level is fine.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by RobbieH
    What do you consider forever? It can take 2-3 weeks to clear the pool, unfortunately.
    Was super chlorinating with cal hypo for a couple of weeks, have been using bleach for the last 3 weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by duraleigh
    Rather than let your chlorine go so low (probably the single most common error when shocking) why not simply brush and vacuum the pool....that'll stir things up and it is supposed to be a part of the shock process anyway.

If you want to get in anyway, go ahead. FC at that level is fine.
    BTW I am brushing and vacuuming at least once a day. I see here that many posters are saying it's OK to swim in 12+ ppm of chlorine; running a search of the web I cannot find any "studies" that show it's safe.
    Can you share the data that shows it's OK to swim at shock levels?

thanks,

Mike

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

If you are uncomfortable, you shouldn't swim until it gets down to a level you are comfortable with.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by duraleigh
    If you are uncomfortable, you shouldn't swim until it gets down to a level you are comfortable with.
    Dave,

I hope I didn't come across as augmentative that wasn't my intent. Just wanted to see if there is any "hard data" on what is OK or not. With the grandchildren dying their hair this color and then that color, I wouldn't want to have any problems.

7. Back To Top    #7

If you do use the clarifier please post back how and if it worked.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

8. Back To Top    #8

Hair color issues are caused by metals. I believe it's copper.

I swim right after dosing. Last season with a CYA around 95 we swam with level of ~15-18 ppm. (after dosing in prep for the next day of full sun)

I've yet to hear any positive comments on clarifier. Chlorine is the best clarifier.
    Aaron
    [ Vogue Vectra 24' AG | Hard plumb: Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 1HP 2-speed, 27" sand filter & Pentair MiniMax 100 NG | Taylor K-2006 | Central IL ]
    Powered by: TFP, PoolMath & TFTestkits

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by Speedo

I've yet to hear any positive comments on clarifier. Chlorine is the best clarifier.
    I've used it on occasion with good results. Never tried it to deal with an algea problem. Just stubborn pollen and fine stuff. My sand filter is slightly undersized and a minimal dose of clarifier works really well.
    14,000 gallon IG, Vinyl. Hayward 3/4 hp superpump, Penatair IC40 SWCG, Pentair automation, Hayward sand filter, Aqua Comfort heat pump, Hayward 400k Lo-Nox LP heater.

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by Speedo
    Hair color issues are caused by metals. I believe it's copper.

I swim right after dosing. Last season with a CYA around 95 we swam with level of ~15-18 ppm. (after dosing in prep for the next day of full sun)

If I understand the relationship between CYA and Chlorine, looking at the CYA-Chlorine chart

with a CYA of 95 you are shocking at 35 and want to keep the everyday levels between 7 & 10

with my CYA of 30+ a little Shock at 12 and target chlorine at 4
    Isn't your CYA level being so high that allows you to safely swim at 15-18?

I am thinking the best thing to do is leave the vacuum at the bottom of the deep end pulling water off the bottom and using some of the fiber stuff (sorry i forget the name) in the filter to help pull out the fines.

11. Back To Top    #11

DE in the filter. Not fiber stuff.
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by RobbieH
    DE in the filter. Not fiber stuff.
    Never had any luck with that. Plain old clarifier works. Just dont over dose it.
    14,000 gallon IG, Vinyl. Hayward 3/4 hp superpump, Penatair IC40 SWCG, Pentair automation, Hayward sand filter, Aqua Comfort heat pump, Hayward 400k Lo-Nox LP heater.

13. Back To Top    #13

Quote Originally Posted by reeltor
    with a CYA of 95 you are shocking at 35 and want to keep the everyday levels between 7 & 10

with my CYA of 30+ a little Shock at 12 and target chlorine at 4
    Isn't your CYA level being so high that allows you to safely swim at 15-18?
    That's true, I was targeting 11ppm and when there was full sun and a few people swimming I would lose a good 5+ ppm/day.

At a target of 11 going to 16 would be 1.45x
    At a target of 4.5, 1.45x would be 6.5 ppm

Wow, doing the math... that really is a large difference.
    Aaron
    [ Vogue Vectra 24' AG | Hard plumb: Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 1HP 2-speed, 27" sand filter & Pentair MiniMax 100 NG | Taylor K-2006 | Central IL ]