Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Acceptable salts?

1. Back To Top    #1

Acceptable salts?

Was shopping for salt for my pool today. 11 bucks a bag for pool salt!! $4.29 for Windsor System Saver 2. There was no indication of any additives on the bag, but I want to be 100% sure that it's ok before I buy it. Any opinions? Here's a link. It's the first one: http://www.windsorsalt.com/water_soften ... 1.html.htm

Thanks for any advice you may offer.

GC
    13'x22'x52" 8,000 gallon ProSeries Pool with Borates
    Intex 110 pound Sand Filter with Zeobrite, 2650 gph pump, 0.95 hp
    Bestway SWG
    AquaPro ECO500 50,000 BTU heat pump
    GLI Whirlwind Solar Cover Reel, TF-100 Test Kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Acceptable salts?

Looks good. Here's what I use, even cheaper.

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R ... reId=10051
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

Windsor® System Saver Formula II and Windsor® Select Plus are both fine. Avoid Windsor® Rust Remover, as it has an added rust remover.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

I keep reading about Diamond Crystal here on the forum. Why can I not find it here?? Is it not available in Canada? Is it under another name?

Thanks guys. I appreciate it.

GC
    Bestway SWG

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by JasonLion
    Avoid Windsor® Rust Remover, as it has an added rust remover.
    I found this humorous. Kind of like a jar of peanuts that says "may contain peanuts or may have been processed in a plant that also processes peanuts"
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by RobbieH
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonLion
    Avoid Windsor® Rust Remover, as it has an added rust remover.
    I found this humorous. Kind of like a jar of peanuts that says "may contain peanuts or may have been processed in a plant that also processes peanuts"
    LOL...Just noticing that now. It is good for a chuckle indeed!! I'm sure Jason posted it tongue-in-cheek!
    Bestway SWG

7. Back To Top    #7

Also, there were a couple of pellets spilled out of the bag at Walmart. Those are BIG pellets. Over an inch long and over half an inch wide would be my guess. They'll dissolve ok?
    Bestway SWG

8. Back To Top    #8

Yes, they will dissolve just fine. They take an extra ten or twenty minutes to dissolve, which really isn't an issue.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

9. Back To Top    #9

If that's all the extra time it takes, then you're right, it isn't an issue at all. Why do SWG manufacturers recommend letting the salt dissolve for 24 hours prior to turning on SWG?

EDIT: I have read about Morton System Saver 2 here on the forum but could never find it in a store here in Canada. Just found some info online illustrating the connection between Morton and Windsor salts. Here's a snippet:

The Canadian Salt Company Limited, also known as Windsor Salt, is a part of Morton International Inc., located in Chicago, Illinois. Together, we employ close to 3,000 people in our salt mines, production manufactories, warehouses and offices throughout the United States, Canada and the Island of Inaqua in the Bahamas.

Taken from: http://www.windsorsalt.com/careers/index.html
    Bestway SWG

10. Back To Top    #10

Salt dissolves really quickly, but the resulting very salty water doesn't mix into the rest of the water all that easily. You want 24 hours with the pump running to make sure the salty water is throughly mixed into the less salty water and the salt is uniformly distributed.

11. Back To Top    #11

Perfect. Great explanation Jason. Thanks.
    GC
    Bestway SWG

12. Back To Top    #12

FWIW, walmart has actual mortons pool salt for 5.79 per bag. I know its not the cheapest, but for actual pool salt (that is very finely ground) it seems to be a good price.
    22K IG vinyl, .5HP Northstar pump, S244T filter, AutoPilot Digital w/SC-48 cell

13. Back To Top    #13

Why pay an extra couple of bucks just to get a bag that says "Pool Salt" when "Water Ssoftener" salt is the same thing?
    Samantha

In the process of building for a 22' Intex Ultra Frame, (completion date up in the air at this point).
    We could not beat our backyard into submission so we "Buried It".

14. Back To Top    #14

Quote Originally Posted by Samantha Sabrina
    Why pay an extra couple of bucks just to get a bag that says "Pool Salt" when "Water Ssoftener" salt is the same thing?
    Pool salt takes a little less time to dissolve.

Mostly I ordered it because I could order it for pick up in store, so the 12 bags I needed were on a cart and ready to go saved a little time and back pain. For the extra 12.00 (1.00/bag vs water softener salt from HD), it was worth it.

15. Back To Top    #15

I hope you had a truck to tote those 12 bags or made 2 trips.
    17K Kidney Shaped Pool Concrete (Diamond Bright) Pool, 3/4 hp 2 speed 115V Sta-rite Duraglas PEA5D-180L/P2R5D-181L (Impeller C105-92PS Diffuser C1-216P), 1.5 piping, Pentair CC100 Filter , Heat Siphon 100K BTU Heat Pump Pool Heater, Flow meter Blue White Flowmeter Model No. F-30150P, Hayward Astrolight SP0581N, SWCG CalimarTitanium Edition TE45 , Dolphin Nautilus Plus with CleverClean, Lakeland Florida

16. Back To Top    #16

Quote Originally Posted by bobodaclown
    I hope you had a truck to tote those 12 bags or made 2 trips.
    I find it hard to live life as a homeowner (or even just a pool owner) WITHOUT my pickup truck. So yeah, definitely had the truck with me.

17. Back To Top    #17

Mine took 32 bags. The Diamond Crystal bags were less than $4 each. I ordered them from Home Depot onlne, and they were waiting on me at the store when I got there. I dumped them all in at once, and it was all dissolved in a few hours. If it's worth it to you to pay more for exactly the same thing but with a Morton labelthat says it's for pools, I guess.

Kind of like that guy a couple of days ago who's wife would not let him use Clorox because it wasn't "made for pools".

18. Back To Top    #18

Quote Originally Posted by RobbieH
    Mine took 32 bags. The Diamond Crystal bags were less than $4 each. I ordered them from Home Depot onlne, and they were waiting on me at the store when I got there. I dumped them all in at once, and it was all dissolved in a few hours. If it's worth it to you to pay more for exactly the same thing but with a Morton labelthat says it's for pools, I guess.

Kind of like that guy a couple of days ago who's wife would not let him use Clorox because it wasn't "made for pools".
    Lol, actually her problem was Clorox is for doing laundry!

Anyway, you were inside my head when you posted that! Great minds and all that, giggles.

So while you are in there, what should I have for breakfast?....If you can wade through the cobwebs that is...
    Samantha

In the process of building for a 22' Intex Ultra Frame, (completion date up in the air at this point).
    We could not beat our backyard into submission so we "Buried It".

19. Back To Top    #19

So. I buy 6 bags of Windsor System Saver 2 salt and dump them in the pool. As I'm collecting the empty bags I notice this written on the back. "...contains high purity salt with patented resin cleaning additives". Salt dissolved and SWG seems to be working fine. Will these "patented resin cleaning additives" have any negative effect on my water or equipment?

GC
    Bestway SWG

20. Back To Top    #20

Just a week bump
    Bestway SWG